Review TCL 6-Series Roku TV R625 review

wilfreeman

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Unfortunate timing with this review? Didn't TCL just officially announce the 6-Series would be getting mini-LED tech?

As far as I can tell, the main difference now will be the software. They won't cannibalize potential sales for the 8-Series, so the 6-Series will still be limited to (at most) 240 CCZs, but the underlying tech appears to be the same.

It makes sense, from a manufacturing efficiency standpoint, to use the same backlights in both Series. But I can't help feeling that this is a blunder. Intentionally crippling a product's capabilities usually leads to angry customers...

moses1212

Honorable
Mar 18, 2015
Did you have issues with the built in Amazon app not playing in HDR. Also can you test HDR content with HDR set to bright and see if you get fluctuating in brightness that alot of us are seeing? I specifically saw it using Disney+ with Xmen Apocalypse using the built in app, and other movies from other sources. The fluctuating does not happen in DV.

Aug 16, 2020
Unfortunate timing with this review? Didn't TCL just officially announce the 6-Series would be getting mini-LED tech?

As far as I can tell, the main difference now will be the software. They won't cannibalize potential sales for the 8-Series, so the 6-Series will still be limited to (at most) 240 CCZs, but the underlying tech appears to be the same.

It makes sense, from a manufacturing efficiency standpoint, to use the same backlights in both Series. But I can't help feeling that this is a blunder. Intentionally crippling a product's capabilities usually leads to angry customers...

Good call on noticing and saying something! I wouldn't have realized if I hadn't seen your comment. I was just about ready to purchase it and then had to go back and re-read and was like "oh yeah...there's not a single mention of Mini-LED. Pretty bizarre to post a review of last year's model right when the new model goes on sale.