News TCL smart TVs may have 'Chinese backdoor' — protect yourself now

Nov 13, 2020
This is a very well written article.

This flaw seems to affect TCL TVs with Android software.

Update: looks like they changed the image.

Why did you choose the picture of a TCL using the Roku software, which does not seem to be affected by the vulnerability.

It's just makes the article confusing and inconsistent from looking at the title, image, and the article itself.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
Absolutely agree. Seems like a scare tactic since they’re so popular to grab users attention

bad on toms guide

SleepyD

Estimable
Nov 14, 2020
I agree with both of you it’s ridiculous to use the picture of a TCL Roku TV. Either for clicks or lazy blogging. I expect better from Tom’s Guide.

PaulWagenseil

Prominent
Mar 27, 2020
Why did you choose the picture of a TCL using the Roku software, which does not seem to be affected by the vulnerability.

It's just makes the article confusing and inconsistent from looking at the title, image, and the article itself.

For the simplest and dumbest of reasons: Because I thought the image showed a TCL TV running Android, not one running the Roku software. That's how the image was labeled in our image bank. After Roku reached out to me over the weekend and convinced me we were using the wrong image, I changed it.

Dec 24, 2020
If China wants to monitor my daily routine of seinfeld, anime, sports, and video games, let them, who cares? It's not like we're storing codes for sub atomic weapons on our netflix favorites.

On a side note, I've noticed TVs built in China generally have a much easier for the eyes resolution. I have a 19" insignia a 24" westinghouse and a 32" rca and the insignia by far is the best..

Jan 2, 2021
I have a TCL 43S405 model, a Roku model, and it definitely spies on you. I was watching a "Christmas Movie" on it through one of the HDMI ports that was hooked up to my laptop, running VLC media player. 20 minutes into the movie the menu system on the TV popped up in the corner showing me "Other ways to watch Christmas Movie...". This video file was played on my computer, not on the TV's OS. How the hell did it know what I was watching without sending video info lifted from the HDMI back to another server for analysis?!

Edit:
After a little more internet searching I found out this is a thing called ACR(Automatic Content Recognition). It can be disabled via the TV's settings on most sets.
https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-to-turn-off-smart-tv-snooping-features/

Last edited: