TECH JUNKIES, help me customize a gaming laptop under $1,650?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velocityx3

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
NEW QUESTION! #8

I'm not near tech savvy and want to invest in a desktop replacement which I can still game in nicely 4 years from now.

Here's what I'm looking at:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9170-clevo-p170em-p-4342.html

I really need help with customization as in what is necessary and what really isn't:

1. Is the "Glare Type" Glossy Screen that bad from the "Matte Type" Screen? - Is the quality effected by much?

2. nVidia GeForce GTX 675M or AMD Radeon HD 7970M? - I was also considering nVidia GeForce GTX 580M since I hear it's practically the same as the 675M but the 580M only comes in a MSI laptops which I don't really want because Sager has the 30 day policy instead of the 15 day.

3. Should I upgrade memory from 8GB 1600MHz to 12GB 1333MHz? - If there isn't much of a performance difference please let me know, oh and to save even more money 8GB 1333MHz should be decent enough anyway right?

4. Should I get 128gb Crucial M4 Series SSD for primary hard drive and 500gb 7200rpm for my second instead of only getting 750gb 7200rpm? - I hear there's a huge performance difference when you have an SDD. Is it worth it?

5. If I do get two hard drives should I get Raid 0 Stripe Enabled? - Can someone explain what this exactly does, I mean after it combines hard drives for performance would I still be able to tell the SDD drive and the normal drive apart?

6. Instead of Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth™ v3.0 should I get Intel® Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth™ 4.0? - Should I even worry about this upgrade if I'm just gonna be at home with this laptop and nowhere else? I mean how much better would the Intel one be?

7. Since I'm choosing no operating system will it be hard to install a
Windows 7 Ultimate CD on my own?

**8. If I don't get and SSD now and only a 750gb 7200rpm, will it be hard for me to install a SSD later? Oh and what if I do get an SSD and a regular drive, can I make a request for them to install the OS I'm getting onto the SSD because I think they'll install it onto the regular drive. Do you think they'll do it for me?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm a youngling. If you can help I'll appreciate it so much! Thanks in advance :).

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Dear lord. Breaking the EULA is not against the law. This has been settled YEARS AGO.

velocityx3

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

Ok then I'm sold to 7970M.

I guess I do, thanks everyone. And it's SHE*, mister.

velocityx3

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I have a new question:

If I don't get and SSD now and only a 750gb 7200rpm, will it be hard for me to install a SSD later? Oh and what if I do get an SSD and a regular drive, can I make a request for them to install the OS I'm getting onto the SSD because I think they'll install it onto the regular drive. Do you think they'll do it for me?

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

If you custom order it from their website with the options of SSD and HDD, they will install both for you. I assume this is that Sager unit still.

If you get it yourself, I'm sure you can install it yourself very easily. They are simple. But if you are ordering the laptop with the SSD+HDD by configuring it while you order, then they'll do that for you, and probably install the OS on the SSD (usually done this way).

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
They will install Windows onto the harddrive chosen in the "primary" harddrive section. If you have special requests, you can probably chat and talk to them and let them know or put notes into your build.

I see what you mean, since their promotion for 750GB HDD is only under
"primary", and you will get a cheaper price if you switch the order of hardrives in their configurator. I would definitely chat with them about that; because that is an issue with their pricing and sales system, and not a technical problem with the build. Just for them to ensure if you choose it that way to get the price total correct, that they use the SSD as the primary.

If they are a good builder, they should also update windows, update all the drivers, so it is ready for you to use.

It is usually a special request when you DON'T want them to install Windows, if you have certain special intentions or special steps for your computer. But since that doesn't come with a discount, if people want to do that, they just wipe off what they get and redo it exactly how they want.

If you are considering it, it is a time savings to get it right and to just get the SSD now. If you decide to switch down the line, you will either have to transfer windows over (should work smoothly, but not always, and sometimes requires extra cost to get the "transfer kit" model of theSSD). Or you will have to reinstall windows. While the Microsoft install itself is not too long, you have to redo all the setup and configuration which can be timeconsuming.

rekcah3d

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

bought a cheap hp pro doubled the ram to 8g put a velocity 3 in it and changed the video. also improved on the heatsink on the processor and video chip. (copper squaree= gamer +

velocityx3

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

Oh okay thanks, that's a relief.

I completely ignored the sale. To save my money what if I did get HDD + SSD instead of the other way round? Would they fix it for me and still let me keep the discount? I mean HDD for primary and SSD for secondary seems funky... I guess I should just chat with them. Sager's been getting very good ratings. Although recently I've been checking out FORCE 1762 Built on MSI 1762: http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1762-msi-1762-p-4347.html
Since the Sager was going over $1,700 with everything. Does anyone know if they're as good as Sager?

*EDIT: Lol oh wow okay guys I want you guys to follow along something with me.
FORCE 1762 Built on MSI:
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Matte Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - X1R553)
- FREE - 30 Day "No Dead Pixel" Guarantee w/ ANY Screen Upgrade (XPC Service)
- NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M, 2.5-3.1GHz, (32nm, 3MB L3 cache) (Supports up to 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz of Ram (2 SODIMMS)) - Limited Availability (SKU - X2N171)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
- nVidia GeForce GTX 675M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (SKU – X3R531)
- No Copper Cooling Upgrade
- No Video Adapter
- No External Mobile Display
- 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory - Default (SKU - X4T360)
- Standard Finish
- 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) (SKU - X5N203) PRIMARY DRIVE
- 128GB Crucial M4 C400 Solid State Drive (Up to Sequential Read 500MB/s - Write 175MB/s SSD Serial-ATA III) (SKU – X5R430) SECOND DRIVE

- HDD Raid Settings - OFF
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (SKU - X7R451)
- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- No Back Up Software
- Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 Wireless Card + Bluetooth 4.0 (Single Band) (SKU – X8R010)
- No Network Accessory
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- No Carrying Case
- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- No Car Adapter
- No Spare AC Adapter
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- No Fingerprint Reader
- No Headset
- No External Keyboard
- Steelseries™ Backlit Keyboard (24 Programmable Color Variations) - Limited Availability
- No External Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system
- No Operating System Redline Boost
- Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit - [ Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (Directly through Microsoft) ]
- No Antivirus Essentials Software Bundle
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 1 Year Complete Care Warranty - 1 Year Parts with Ground Shipping, 24/7 Telephone Tech Support & Lifetime Labor Warranty (SKU - X9R000)
- No thanks, standard double boxed packaging is okay with my order
- Standard Production Time
- No Xotic PC Gear
$1,542.00

---------

- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Matte Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - X1R553)
- FREE - 30 Day "No Dead Pixel" Guarantee w/ ANY Screen Upgrade (XPC Service)
- NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M, 2.5-3.1GHz, (32nm, 3MB L3 cache) (Supports up to 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz of Ram (2 SODIMMS)) - Limited Availability (SKU - X2N171)
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds) (XPC Service)
- nVidia GeForce GTX 675M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (SKU – X3R531)
- No Copper Cooling Upgrade
- No Video Adapter
- No External Mobile Display
- 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory - Default (SKU - X4T360)
- Standard Finish
- 128GB Crucial M4 C400 Solid State Drive (Up to Sequential Read 500MB/s - Write 175MB/s SSD Serial-ATA III) (SKU – X5R430) PRIMARY DRIVE
- 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) (SKU - X5R203) SECOND DRIVE
- HDD Raid Settings - OFF
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (SKU - X7R451)
- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- No Back Up Software
- Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 Wireless Card + Bluetooth 4.0 (Single Band) (SKU – X8R010)
- No Network Accessory
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- No Carrying Case
- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- No Car Adapter
- No Spare AC Adapter
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- No Fingerprint Reader
- No Headset
- No External Keyboard
- Steelseries™ Backlit Keyboard (24 Programmable Color Variations) - Limited Availability
- No External Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system
- No Operating System Redline Boost
- Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit - [ Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99 (Directly through Microsoft) ]
- No Antivirus Essentials Software Bundle
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 1 Year Complete Care Warranty - 1 Year Parts with Ground Shipping, 24/7 Telephone Tech Support & Lifetime Labor Warranty (SKU - X9R000)
- No thanks, standard double boxed packaging is okay with my order
- Standard Production Time
- No Xotic PC Gear
$1,597.00

I save $50 if I get an HDD + SSD instead of SSD + HDD! Talk about a little/big saving switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS