Tech Myths: Boosting Reality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, there is still the basic fact that color temperature, color rendering, and the basic mood of the lighting emitted by all current CFL and led lightbulb substitutes... well, it just plain sucks. I like and use cold cathode tube lighting in book lights and led lighting in pocket flashlights. I love them in those applications. The new Cree XRE Q4 5A emmitters even put out very nice light with great color rendering, but none of it holds a candle to the quality of light from bulbs such as the GE Reveal series of incandescent lights. Or decent halogen lighting for that matter. CFL's also suck in many outdoor bulb applications due to warm up time. You really don't want a motion sensor light to take time to warm up. Same goes for outside lighting on a switch for when something goes bump in the night. Not to mention, once again, the light quality sucks. Especially outside where the greater presence of browns and greens really brings out the low quality of the light.

Maybe I'm just selfish, but I frankly don't care enough about saving energy to put up with the atrocious light emitted by current CFL or led light bulb replacements. Sorry, but I just won't do it.

Now that said, it isn't as though flourescent lighting always sucks. Daylight toned tubular bulbs exist and make great interior area lighting. Painters use them to great effect. The still have the annoying 60hz pulse and most make audible noise that tungsten lighting does not in quiet environments, but they have their applications. Also, led tech gets better by the day. It may be in the next few years that leds can really rival tungsten lighting in color rendition. It won't be long after that when they become a viable alternative economically.

Until then, I don't care about the mercury, and damn my carbon footprint, I want some decent friggin light!

Status
Not open for further replies.