Technology May Lead to Attention Deficit Disorder

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Let's pretend for a moment that this article is right and that we are indeed gonna lose some skills because for the sake of technology. We have already lost the skill to kill sabertooth tigers with a rock on a stick. Do we miss that skill? The loss of a skill usually comes with the loss of use. But the loss of use also comes with the loss of need.

Anyway, if anything, the use of technology gave us more skills than it took from us. Like the ability for the brain to reject publicity from a web page or e-mail and the ability to assimilate and referenciate information in a millisecond. I'm telling you, the internet is legen... wait for it...

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Well, when I use Twitter, I click the link in the posts that I read, and, a whole article pops up for me to read. The 140 characters to me is just enough to fit a title and a link, perfect to aggregate news and say a few things back to the authors of the news.

Anyway, technology is pretty much going to keep doing this, since, convinience, speed, efficiency and the like are good for us humans. Nobody needs to sit through a 10 million step long division, and nobody needs to read and understand how to assemble a space shuttle, this is the domain of technology.

I'm more willing to bet the lack of attention span is more due to a change in language causing people to feel unable to focus on the meaning of a script, and not a problem with the attention span of the reader. Improve literacy I say.

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I disagree. I think technology is being used as an excuse for peoples lack of motivation to actually pay attention. Considering that adhd/add is moving away from the "bad parenting" scenario they just now have a new excuse.

I was diagnosed with adhd when i was 4 years old. I was put on dexidrine spansule capsules. no horror stories, it simply worked. my diet was fine, my environment was fine, everything was just fine. I was attentive and could actually calm down long enough to do things.

i guess people cannot be content with the fact that its a legitament neurological disorder. We can make up excuse after excuse.

Maybe depressed people should just fu*king get over it? I'm sure that disorder is a little more common though.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]It all depends on how you use technology. I have been teaching computer/multi-media for 22 years now, and the technology does not cause ADD/ADHD. What causes it, is when parents let their kids sit in front of a monitor for hours on end playing mindless games. Kids need to get out, get dirty, and breath some fresh air. The latest research I have read states that kids should spend a max of about 90 minutes a day playing games. Sounds reasonable. Kids who know how to use technology properly and don't let it dominate their lives are incredibly intelligent. As with anything...learn to use it in moderation.There is something going on. My generation did not have ADD/ADHD, etc. I have also noticed that 20 years ago kids could write good computer code. Today? Hah, it is a joke. They cannot even do simple action script. This concerns me as far as our technological potential is concerned. Maybe it will all be reduced to a GUI app someday...out with the code, and in with the images.But, technology is a great tool for education.[/citation]

Michael Jackson dominated dirty kids.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
G

Where would this world be without something ELSE to worry about. What was I talking about? Oh, piece of candy. Oh, piece of candy. Oh, piece of candy.

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
people don't use those skills because they don't need those skills in their every day lives. the fact that they use modern technology is irrelevant.

i'm also worried about the future. education is getting worse, i know many people from britain who can't spell, read or even talk past the level of an average 10 year old.

it seems that young people have just stopped caring about education.

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Let me turn this upside down. ADD will lead to technology. BAM! that just happened. No but seriously i have mad ADD. The internet doesn't help.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
it seems that young people have just stopped caring about education.

Bingo - for a lot of kids, an education is no longer the means to their ends. Unfortunately this requires that we turn the educational system upside down to accommodate kids who don't actually want an education, but that is a different rant altogether...

Status
Not open for further replies.