Teen Arrested for Terrorist Threats in Apple Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Seven years in prison is a long time for something like that. But the kid should definitely be punished for it.

This is really just a big reminder of how terrible the prison system is in the USA. A much smaller punishment aimed at rehabilitation and driving the message home would do a much better job at fixing the problem. Seven years in prison will only help ruin a kid's life.

jaglows3

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
This kid is clearly not too bright. As long as he doesn't actually have the capability to do what he claimed he would, then jail time is a bit extreme. I'm sure that he is almost as scared right now as the Apple employees might have been. Add in some community service and this kids is PWNED.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jaglows3[/nom]This kid is clearly not too bright. As long as he doesn't actually have the capability to do what he claimed he would, then jail time is a bit extreme. I'm sure that he is almost as scared right now as the Apple employees might have been. Add in some community service and this kids is PWNED.[/citation]

Nah I would guess he is even more scared. Think if you were 17 and knowing u are going to jail for 7 years for something this petty.

To the person above that gave me -1, you want this country to become a large mass of land that is surrounded by bars? I did some very small bad things when I was around that age too and if I would've been put behind bars for that long for little childish stuff, how would that be so fair? All that's going to happen is it is going to cost the tax payers money to support this child in jail and also going to cost even more tax money when he gets out and has to go on welfare. Think before you red flag.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I wouldn't say this has anything to do with freedom of speech. You are free to express your opinions, but threatening other with something like that is not expressing an opinion. I think the jailtime might be a bit extreme, but that type of prank is NOT funny and shouldn't be taken too lightly.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]So much for freedom of speech/press in this country. If it was an airport, I'd better understand.[/citation]

Freedom of speech/press does not include verbally threatening the safety of others. He faces up to 7 years. That certainly does not mean he will get 7 years. I would agree with jaglows3... I'm betting this kid is crapping his pants about now.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]So much for freedom of speech/press in this country. If it was an airport, I'd better understand.[/citation]

are you retarded? You don't go around threatening people regardless of the location or where you threatened them. Please write something threatening on Twitter,Myspace,Facebook or Tom's and see where that gets you. The courts allow that as evidence and there's no way to tell if it's a joke or not.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Writing this on a computer for other Americans to see who have no idea weather your joking or not is
a very serious matter. I think he should be punished pretty hard, seven years may be alittle strong but he definately needs some kind of punishment for scaring the heck out of people just trying to make a living at work without the treat of being killed by some mad man out there. Maybe two years at a work house and 10 years probation and a swift kick in the A _ s..................

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I don't think he could have made his "seemingly funny prank" if he closed the document and deleted the file. How could it have been a prank if he deleted it? His story doesn't sound right.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]flyinfinni[/nom]I wouldn't say this has anything to do with freedom of speech. You are free to express your opinions, but threatening other with something like that is not expressing an opinion. I think the jailtime might be a bit extreme, but that type of prank is NOT funny and shouldn't be taken too lightly.[/citation]

Agreed that freedom of speech does not apply to a threat, even if you meant it as a joke. Still community service would better serve this kid. I think he gets it now.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
As far as free speech goes please see Supreme Court cases Brandenburg v. Ohio, and Schenck v. United States, basically outlines why you can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. As far as the kid goes, 7 years is pretty harsh. Community service without a doubt (washing out the rear end of garbage trucks or something), and maybe parade him around from school to school as an example of what can happen if you think malicious speech is funny.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
It's easy to know if it was a prank... Does he own any C4 or other exploding devices? While I think this is a sad and pathetic thing for someone to do i don't think the punishment should be jail time. 1000 or 2000 hour’s community service would set him straight.

**If they found any explosive device of any kind, give him a bullet between the eyes.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I feel bad this happened...but I have to say I'm not surprised an Apple Store employee would read this and believe it. Just another example of the symptoms, and similar to how they believe anything that comes out of the house that Steve built.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I don't think he could have made his "seemingly funny prank" if he closed the document and deleted the file. How could it have been a prank if he deleted it? His story doesn't sound right.[/citation]
it says "Barry thus typed out a seemingly threatening letter and left it open on the screen for an Apple
employee to read."
So all of you are saying he should get 7 years in prison because he "forgot" to delete it? If he deletes the file, there is no story, no person or property is harmed and all of are reading about AEE/CES still. That is some loose application of terrorism charges if you ask me. Shouldn't we use these types of charges only on real terrorists? I'm sure that DA could find a more appropriate charge than this for this kid.

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Be ready kid to be used like an example more than find the true behind this history... The actual Law System is based in the ancient Roman Law System and it was design to control the masses, to keep the "Status quo" or that "The Politians remain in Power", not to bring justice in the first place, so kid will be used like an example for the masses and regain the calm that people claim to their governants.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Ahh, yes.

Since their unable to stop real terrorist it's important to make an example of those who obviously aren't, otherwise we might not thing our law enforcement officials are serious people.

This D.A. needs to be fired, immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.