Teen Arrested for Terrorist Threats in Apple Store

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
When a few guys changed signs all over a city saying "All your base are belong to us" and the authorities took it as a serious terrosit threat, who here just LOL'd?

The young and restless do stupid things (don't we all?), and a 7 year sentence pisses me off.
Hey, I had a guy threatening to kill me, and the cops just suggested a restraining order, damn... I prefer that more realistic approach. =D

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Had this been pre 9/11 the people in the store would have looked at this crazy shit deleted it and moved on. But because this country is so scared of "terrorist" everyone freaks out. This is an ignorant prank yes and the kid needs to be scared to death over the penalty but come on 7 years in prison is more ignorant then than the prank. I mean why not go really knee jerk and send him to Guantanamo bay?

G

Question: Threatening to commit a terrorist attack is punishable just by making a threatening comment but if someone says they will kill you or kill your family or basically something pertaining to murder and not terrorism; would they still be punished for it in a similar fashion? They haven't committed an actual physical crime, just made a threatening comment unrelated to terrorism. Is that now a crime? I recall that it wasn't 10 years ago but is it now?

I ask because both threats involve the death of innocents but if you are punished for a terrorist comment but not a murderous one then what kind of a sick, twisted world is this?!

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]
No and at least I am not immature enough to go around name calling so I'm not going to stoop down to your level.

That makes me feel that people in power are just a bunch of pussies
[/citation]

Wow... all that in the same post. Nice.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
like i said before...the us judicial system is really fucked up. he should be punished but not to this extent. does this mean that the next time someone kills a person they will be shot on sopt?

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
the kid needs help not a big jail sentence.
he is a kid and a stupid one at that.
i play in 2 punk bands and each one has some pretty scummy sounding lyrics,etc old school punk but my lyrics do not ever state to go out and suicide bomb folks.
terrorism threat is not freedom of speech.

ant1-b0dy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
If he plays his cards right he'll get probably 100 hours community service and 1 year probation with an option to expunge his record afterwards. All I need to do is drop an iPhone or iPod Touch, I call them iGrenades, in the apple store and then you got a bomb.

deadrats

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
all of you bleepholes that say that the kid deserves a 7 year sentence or that the first amendment doesn't apply or that this incident needs to be treated as a real terror threat need to squeeze your heads out of your collective back doors and remember the following:

1) terrorists, such as those that we commonly associate with explosive attacks, rarely, if ever, make a direct threat that explicitly declares a target, the 2 attacks on the twin towers (in 1993 and 2001) weren't preceded by a written threat, the oklahoma city bombing, the anthrax attacks, the attacks in england, spain, bali, the attacks on the uss cole, the attacks on our soldiers in afganistan and iraq, none of them were preceded by a specific threat, terrorists rely on the element of surprise in order to maximize the body count and carnage, you never have any specific advanced notice, they just attack. once you understand that modus operandi, the only logical conclusion is that this was meant as a prank.

2) the first amendment explicitly states:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

note that it doesn't say "no law...unless a judge, the supreme court, a prosecutor, some scared citizen, or any one else feels like there should be limits on individual freedoms" and as far as the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" argument is concerned, it a lame way of getting the public to voluntarily relinquish a portion of their civil liberties, movie theaters have multiple exits, both were you normally enter and next to the movie screens and they have fire suppression systems along with smoke detectors, if someone runs in and yells "fire" but there is no smoke, the smoke detectors aren't going off and neither are the sprinklers, then why would you believe that person much less panic? if you are stupid enough to panic then i submit you probably deserve to be trampled.

i will leave you with this often repeated truth "those that would exchange their liberty for security, deserve neither".

for those that feel that this post should be rated down, i hope you will keep in mind that that too is part of your constitutionally protected right to free speech, and just as you wish to have that right to express your opinion of this post, so too should you support another's right to express himself (i'm talking about the kid), no matter how inappropriate that expression might have been.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
deadrats
Your right to express your opinions in a public forum, assemble for the purposes of doing so and to petition the government is guaranteed. You do not have the right to verbally or physically threaten the safety of other people. It is not a new judicial concept.

United States Supreme Court
Chaplinsky v. State of New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942).

The crime carries a sentence up to 7 years in prison. That does not mean the kid is getting 7 years. It is the maximum sentence the judge can dole out based on the circumstances surrounding the incident.

There is a good chance the sentence will visit the gravity of the situation on the poor lad without imparting the maximimum allowed punishment. Threatening to blow up a building, even in jest, should not be acceptible behavior anywhere. That is my personal opinion, but I am certain it is a widely held one even outside the United States.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
notice how it says "FACING seven years"... I am sure that is the maximum punishable amount for such an offense. All you morons need to stop crying about how its too long and unreasonable... Unless the prosecution can dig up something to corroborate that this was anything other then a simple prank, the kids not gonna get anything more then a hefty fine and community service (especially if it's a first offense)... Quit gettin' your panties in a bundle

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]Blowing up an apple store is a crime? LOL[/citation]

even though you are not an apple fan "YES"

G

It's the terrorist which hunt! Yeah, let's take all these claims very serious because it is so dangerous! Oh wait, it's not dangerous at all compared to driving your car. You probably get hit by lightning more often that blown up by a terrorist... Stupid americans...

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nzweers[/nom]It's the terrorist which hunt! Yeah, let's take all these claims very serious because it is so dangerous! Oh wait, it's not dangerous at all compared to driving your car. You probably get hit by lightning more often that blown up by a terrorist... Stupid americans...[/citation]

Don't know where you are from, but I would bet it is illegal there as well.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
He could face 7 years... repeat after me "He *could* face a 7 year sentence". He has not been sentenced yet. This is what is wrong with the stupidity of people around the world, they cannot parse a simple sentence and instead jump to conclusions and fly off the handle.

Yes, 7 years is a lot of time, and it is provided for the judge to have the opportunity to apply as much punishment as he feels is necessary. The kid is sitting in jail now thinking he COULD have just sacrificed the next 7 years of his life; that is probably enough to scare the crap out of him. He will be a sobbing mess when he goes before the judge for sentencing, who will probably give him a slap on the wrist.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Go rob a bank and when you're caught, say it was just a prank... See where it gets you.

Pranks are meant for friends and family. You're an idiot if you do something like this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.