Teen Goes on Axe Rampage After Losing Game

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yes, it's tragic. But PLEASE STOP with the titles that follow "Cause:video game, effect: violence" it's complete crap, and most likely unrelated in any way. I'd look more at the drinking part....hence the fact there was heavy drinking involved in BOTH recent incidents, not to mention rather apparent anger issues.

But things like this do make you wonder....will the coming zombie invasion be from an actual disease..or the evident decay of decision making skills and general lack of intelligence?

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
"Teen Goes on Axe Rampage After Losing Game"

Dont you mean....

"Schizophrenic Teen Goes on Axe Rampage After Consuming a Bottle of Vodka"

Get your facts straight, moron.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Pathetic and awful attempt at an article. Please TH, start reporting properly, otherwise I'm taking my custom else where. I have plenty of gripe with the quality of articles, but, this isn't just a quality issue, it's just pure speculation from a reporter aimed at creating a storm.

If I go out now and commit a crime, I am so blaming it on TH. Since it's making me rage. THERE MUST BE A CASUAL LINK BETWEEN TH AND VIOLENCE.

kutark

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Am i the only one that read this and the author's conclusion and called BS? I'm sorry but the losing the FIFA games may have been the straw that broke the camels back. But the consumption of that much alchohol and the fact that he didnt take it out on his younger brother, (which had it been directly due to the video game loss, i assure you he would have taken it out on his brother) clearly shows that there were other issues in this kids life that lead him to take this action.

I'm getting really REALLY tired of the fact that the media and politicians have a little "jump to conclusions" mat that they obviously get a massive hardon from using. I mean, why actually try to determine the truth of why something happens, lets just use this horrible incident to further our agenda.

This reminds me of columbine (and btw i'm a CO native and was in HS when this happened, so its a very sore subject with me), how the first thing that happened was some people found installs of Doom/Doom II on their computers, so there was this big wave of "blame video games". Then they find some less popular styles of music in their rooms, and then its, "oh its these violent lyrics in music". The reality was it was those kids being mocked mercilessly for the better part of their school lives that caused them to snap. Do i agree with their method of "dealing" with their issues, absolutely not, i abhor the idea. But do i understand the impetus? Absolutely.

Anyways, getting back on topic. I imagine we're going to hear more about this later, when you will ikely found out the kid had a host of other issues that lead up to this incident.

G

last week it's killer with a gun,this week an axe, next week a stoning by a killer who happened to have a gameboy in his pocket,and lost to a Zelda Boss??

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
"We've all had moments of video game rage when we may have gone overboard and thrown a controller"

No we haven't. You are a tool and a step below this moron in the article. Get a grip (and new job).

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Earlier this day I ate a Twix bar then consumed a fifth of bourbon. I then went on an axe murdering spree. Must have been that damn Twix bar.

popswiss

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
So a kid is playing a soccer game and then hours later, breaks into someones house and murders them. How did we reach the conclusion that the video game is at fault? The kid didn't go into a rage immediately and go on a killing spree. He sat around and drank for hours before breaking into someones house and murdering them. That sounds premeditated not like spontaneous rage. How is that in any way related to the video game? Plus, they were playing FIFA! No correlation, no causation. Horrible logic here. I would be more likely to blame drinking a bottle of vodka on violence than a soccer game. But hey, that's not news :)

frankzz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Im sorry to call you out on this marcus, but this is the second fear creating article youve written today. The other example is WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE WILL FAIL some of YOUR COMPUTERS... then at the very end... oh, ya, it only "affect(s) a very small number of users". Some is not equal to very few.

This article basically states what everyone else said up above. Fifa isnt violent at all... He lost a game to his brother. Think what would have happened if he lost a highschool football game. I think he would have flipped even more.. maybe a axe and a machette or even an uzi, since apparenty at one point in his life he played GTA.

Can you please try to put the more important facts in the first paragraph? The article would get bashed a bit less i think. This kind of writing smells like one of those all day agenda driven news channels.

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to show where the article gets such contempt from the readers

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
lol? Of all the games to rage out over he decided on the one with absolutely no violence, interesting.

Callaghan had once played Grand Theft Auto
Dear lord, a whole one time?! This abomination on society is clearly to blame and must be eradicated at any cost!

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
To everyone commenting on how he got the alcohol, you only need to be 18 here, he could easily have had friends a few months older than him, or a fake id.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
If only people followed the message in Leviticus letters (especially 15-20) in the Bible, none of this would have happened.

Read and live by the bible, go to church every Sunday and everyone will be fine.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]beehew[/nom]"We've all had moments of video game rage when we may have gone overboard and thrown a controller"No we haven't. You are a tool and a step below this moron in the article. Get a grip (and new job).[/citation]
Amen to that , if the author of this article is into random bouts of controller throwing then he is a total moron . 1 i';m nto aobut to throw soemthign that cost my ass 40 bucks , much less throw it about where it might hit soemthing that costed me 1200 bucks. mabey you need anger managment therapy mister news writer LOL

G

tHE KID HAD A HISTORY OF BEING VIOLENT AFTER DRINKING ALCOHOL...HE WAS 17...HIS DRINKING HISTORY SHOULDNT HAVE STARTED YET...

Status
Not open for further replies.