Teen Goes on Axe Rampage After Losing Game

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
"The DailyMail also added in that Callaghan had " gone to school. UK officials are now contemplating closing all shcools to prevent mass rampant slayings.

zads

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Lightbulbs cause people to act out violently.
This teen used lightbulbs, as did the majority of recent murderers in the US.
We must ban lightbulbs.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
No way! If you are a schizophrenic, lose at a video game, and drink a bottle of vodka something my go wrong! What an odd concept.

This is not game related, this is schizophrenic related.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I lost 3 games of that damn on-line chess and run and killed my cat drowning it in the fish tank.
Joking~ I never had a cat neither know how to play chess.
Why is this even in a site like tom's? this people who kill others are mentally fuk€d up... he would have done the same thing playing basketball or football on the street.
Doesn't even have to do with computer/console games, they have run a test about freaks like us playing games and turns out that at the end of the day we are the least violent. Not the other way around, as I see it it's offensive(to us readers) to show this kind of "news" in here.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
"While it's unclear as to how he received the losses from the video game"

I think it's fair to say that his brother scored more goals than he did, in three consecutive games... but then again I don't really follow soccer, let alone soccer video games.

Seriously, in what possible way does it matter "how he received the losses"? Unless he was forced to lose by a knife/axe wielding schizophrenic, alcoholic 65-year-old Woman, what possible use does that line have?

Understandibly it's probably pointless to even rant on it, but I think it just goes to show that you people are probably paid by the word. Next time just do us all a favor upload your "article" to Wikipedia as the leading expert on the matter and just send us the link.

I understand the story is an interesting anecdote that has peripherally to do with gaming, at least attempt to present it as such, ideally in the title, before you try to confuse us into thinking you're worthy of writing for this, or any, site of any reputation and keep it for your own personal blog, ideally on a Geocities site.

What drove him to drink could have just as likely had nothing to do with the game. In fact in the article, which you apparently glazed, over it says:
He told psychiatrists that for several months he had been hearing voices in his head urging him to kill and had seen a man 'with horns on his head'. He said he began drinking heavily to cope with these visions.

Here, it appears he was drinking to keep the urges down, and probably playing games for THE SAME REASON.
I also have a hard time thinking a slight 17 year old could consume a bottle of vodka like that and coherently MOVE let alone kill someone.
Seems to me that he had "the crazies" and didn't get enough help, end of story.

I'll help you out "author". If you're going to reprint a story's half-baked attempt at linking games to violence, at least do something with it that will make me want to read your version, for example:
1) Point out that the story is a half-baked attempt, and give your spin on it, making it... yours.
2) If you're just going to make your own half-baked attempt at paraphrasing a half-baked attempt, do better than "We don't know why he lost" to add your own input.

Hell, telling us what console they used would be more informative.
I'm willing to bet it probably wasn't on the XBOX360 otherwise you would've jumped at the chance to blame Microsoft too.

G

They are blaming the video game but its the bottle of vodka he drank.... its not rocket science

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]sot010174[/nom]nobody called 911?[/citation]

Thank God I'm not the only one asking this. Granted we're not really given a time line in this article, but where on earth were the cops? After he threatened several people, had anybody even bothered to call 911?

Obviously, for anyone who has any common sense, this tragic murder ultimately has nothing to do with video games. It's about a 17 year old child who had an under age drinking problem, lack of parental supervision, untreated/under-treated psychological problems, and an obvious anger management problem.

First question: Which parent abuses drugs, alcohol, the other spouse, or their kids?

What this kid did has nothing to do with video games, and everything to do with everything else.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Miribus[/nom]"While it's unclear as to how he received the losses from the video game"I think it's fair to say that his brother scored more goals than he did, in three consecutive games...[/citation]

;) I think the author was referring to how the kid 'handled' the losses. Like, whether he blew up into a raging fit in the house, or skulked off quietly contemplating life...

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I think the author was referring to how the kid 'handled' the losses. Like, whether he blew up into a raging fit in the house, or skulked off quietly contemplating life...[/citation]

That's a fair point, I retract the 1st half of my comment, and still stand by the rest.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]sylvia648[/nom]I think he was one of those European soccer fans you always see rioting after a game. No, but in all seriousness this is yet again another failure of the American Mental Health System (or the lack there of) and people not being able to get health care be it psychical or mental in this greedy/piss poor country. [/citation]

Your first sentence makes it sound like you realized that this incident occurred in the UK; your second sentence, not so much. Why don't you take another swing at writing a paragraph that makes sense.

[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]Well said.[/citation]
Really? *Really???*

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Thank God I'm not the only one asking this. Granted we're not really given a time line in this article, but where on earth were the cops? After he threatened several people, had anybody even bothered to call 911?Obviously, for anyone who has any common sense, this tragic murder ultimately has nothing to do with video games. It's about a 17 year old child who had an under age drinking problem, lack of parental supervision, untreated/under-treated psychological problems, and an obvious anger management problem.First question: Which parent abuses drugs, alcohol, the other spouse, or their kids?What this kid did has nothing to do with video games, and everything to do with everything else.[/citation]
Rumor has it they were banging "9-1-1" furiously on the phone and it took them several hours to realize they were in the UK, where "9-9-9" is required.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
"Man goes on murderous rampage after smelling a stinky ping pong paddle"

This man has a history of violence after drinking alcohol, but let's not focus on the alcohol, instead let's ban ping pong.

gen_lysander

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I don't get how people always are trying to bash video games as being the causes for violent people. The article states that, "Those familiar with Callaghan said that he had a history of violence after consuming alcohol."

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well there's one thing for sure, where this kid is going they're going to play lots of games... However he's going to end up with a swore butt all the time. Looks like he's going to keep on losing...

angelofprogress

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
This has nothing to do with video games and everything to do with alcohol. The boy was known to have a history of violence when he drank alcohol...not when he played video games. Also, last time I checked, FIFA wasn't a violent video game...so we can't blame that, shucks!

Also, where the hell were this kids parents. I know when I was 17 I didn't have access to full bottles of vodka in my house. My parents didn't keep alcohol in the house, and I wasn't allowed to bring it in, especially when I was 17. Sure, I could go to a friend's house or a party and have access, but not in my parent's home. I think whoever supplied the alcohol is just as much to blame as the child. Plus, he was batshit crazy to begin with...it was only a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.