Teen Kills Self After Friend Streams Sexual Video

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quadibloc

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
In some U.S. jurisdictions, it's still true that if you commit a serious crime, and someone's death results from it, even in an indirect manner - such as a police car dispatched because of the crime having a car accident - a murder charge results. Suicides, though, are excluded from this; maybe this incident shows that the law should be amended.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Two college GLBT suicides this past week, 5 GLBT suicides in the past 3 weeks. Just sickening that people are still so insensitive to GLBT issues.

There is a reason why we are so at risk for this and it is becuase of the lack of acceptance, the off hand comments that suggest being gay is bad, we can still be fired from our jobs for being gay, our relationships are seen as inferior and by some as vile. Is it really any wonder why this happens?

And "love the sinner, hate the sin" and similar are pitiful excuses that aren't even remotely true. If you really cared about us as people, you would leave us alone and allow us to be seen and treated as equals, not as if we are somehow "sick" and in need of "help."

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
he was gay...nothing wrong with that, but still don't understand why he killed himself. i guess he could not accept the fact that he was gay and other people to know. it's still effed up

chuckclc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Yeah, how bout people just be brought up right and not be so damn stupid and sensitive. Kill yourself over that? Worlds better off.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Well I agree that what Ravi did was of very poor taste, and deserving of punishment, it is likely we are hearing only one side of the story. A dorm room is not the best place to have two people with differing beliefs. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyler as bringing home "dates" (really just hookups which can rub people the wrong way too) on a regular basis, and that there were other disagreements in behavior that rubbed Ravi the wrong way. Invasion of privacy is an issue, but what constitutes "agreeing to let the roommate have the room." We don't know if Tyler kicked Ravi out of his own room or not. Others will at least learn from this that they may want to get a hotel room or something. Do dorms now not have policies against sex? Just curious as I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Anyways, unfortunate incident, that is also being argued by the gay community as a "hate crime." I'm not sure if I agree with that or not based on what has been presented. Also, a hate crime will end up being too broad a term and can be applied to anything. I do agree with the posters that say that Tyler had other issues and seemed awfully weak mentally to resort to suicide over something like this. Still a bad incident all the way around.

G

I love all the liberal "feel good" posts. Not too long ago what Tyler was doing was illegal and still is in most states. Although I don't condone what Dharun did, if Tyler was so ashamed at what he was doing to kill himself he shouldn't have been doing it to begin with.

G

Not an easy thing being a college freshman, and adjusting to having a roommate whose life and lifestyle might not be compatible with yours. I am sure the college will bear some of the liability for this as they may have owned or controlled access to the network, and failed to address privacy issues during orientation. That responsibility for overseeing this issue fell upon an RA - also not likely trained as a counselor, or perhaps lacking empathy for gay students - also translates into liability and exposure not only at Rutgers but in the viral atmosphere of residential colleges and universities everywhere, which will mean more rules, regulations and consequently less electronic access and higher tuition everywhere. So, yes this little incident has huge implications for the technologically-minded as addressing and preventing similar instances will reverberate across many different platforms and populations besides these three little Rutgers frosh.

G

I'm not condoning what happened, I suspect many college students are put in situation where they don't feel comfortable going back to their room when their room mate is having sex, straight or gay!!!!!!!

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
honestly I have a hard time feeling bad for someone who commits suicide for something like this, this is someone who doesnt value his life so why should I or anyone else

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
"Yeah, cause kicking you're roomate out of what is also their room to have a midnight rendezvous is thinking things through. Jumping off a bridge is thinking things through. Get real. This kid enabled his web came so he could see what was going on in in what is also HIS room containing HIS things. Anyone that thinks he was streaming this to thousands of people really has no clue about the app he was using. As usual, you're ready to be lead by the nose by the media as they spin something in the most unfavorable light... to the point where it's blatantly inaccurate."

He asked to have privacy for the night. I've done it as well in College (cept in my case it was to meet with females but that shouldn't make a difference). His roommate is clearly homophobic and thought that spying and then reporting his disgust would have the effect of ensuring that he was now viewed as being gay himself (due to the social stigma). Homophobia is a way to divert attention from ones own insecurities (as often those who are homophobic are gay themselves).

The room was shared by the two and he asked permission to have privacy on that night. I don't see that as changing anything.

Odds are... you're homophobic yourself.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Trying to be subjective and impartial here, but I just wonder whether religion played any part in Ravi's motive.[/citation]
Right, he practices that religion that condones using video cameras to record gay sex on the internet. Islam or something like that. -rolleyes-. Get a clue dude, what a stupid question.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]What this guy did was terrible. I honestly don't understand why they still share rooms between two people in US universities. AFAIK this is quite unusual compared to other countries.[/citation]
No it is not unusual compared to other countries. How can you make such a bizarre and incorrect claim? Having a room mate is a cost decision. No one is forcing you to live on campus. Go rent an apartment if you want your own place. Can't afford it? Ok, well shut up and get a room mate then. Simple.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I can't help but wonder what kind of half of the people that comment on this site are.

How many of you went to college?
How many of you had ANY sort of relationship while in college?

After spending four years in college, I never (NEVER), had a problem with myself or one of my numerous roomates leaving for the occasional late night call.

Looking at the facts, their is no way Ravi didn't know. I mean, the guy has a twitter account and is advertising what is going on. Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to quickly dismiss ignorance, am I right?

Travis commited suicide. I feel bad for the kid. He did the stupidest thing, and that was the choice to end his life. It was a test of perseverence and of character, one he couldn't pass.

It's always sad when someone ends their life, but in that aspect he should be held accountable for his actions. Like he majority of suicide cases, it's never bad enough for anyone to end their lives.
Ravi didn't kill him, that should be irrelevant in his proceedings, he should be charged for what he did and the emotional damage it caused.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The guy who got streamed should have exerted retaliation instead. Like shooting the douche bag who outed him in a live stream. Making this planet a better place 1 bullet at a time.

*be sure to use hollow points.

urlsen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Hey Tom Whats up with FFFG96 not beeing deleted or reprimanded.

People get grayed out for having bad language, but this is clearly adds and spam.
Kick the user off the site plz and censor the comment :)
Roomate is a prick and should have his cavity filled in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.