Tesla's Funding Dwindling; Expansion Delayed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm home now. The documentry I was referring to is this one : http://www.documentary-film.net/search/video-listings.php?e=195

As for the water burning stuff, look up John Kanzius on google or some place. That's the name of the guy that made the device to ignite it. But appearently it's quite a common system now. So common that some company even made fireplaces run with water and using electricity to make it burn. But as I said earlier, that technique doesn't provide more power than it requires. The stuff in the documentry linked above does though. Some of it anyway. ps. the dude that meant to put spark plug replacements into retail got poisoned a few months prior to that happening, and his stuff disappeared. So that didn't happen as you might know :(

To sum it up - I'm not a chemist and only watch stuff like those documentries for entertainment (beats watching pearl harbour or something on tv). I don't know anything about the actual processes taking place. But what I do know is that zero point energy must exist. Either that or our methods for determining the amount of energy used or released are incorrect. So where is the error? with the mathematics, or with the theory that energy is constant, and only the form changes? I'm not competent to determine that, but I'm better at mathematics than I am at physics theories I don't even know the official names for, so I am expecting mathematics to be correct.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hello neiroatopelcc,
I did look at the documentary sent in the link. Assuming the person is telling the truth, he has found a great way to heat water. In most boilers, more than 50% of the heat is wasted as exhaust gas.

However as far as greater than 100% efficiency, I am completely unconvinced. Inventions (by honest poeple) like this in the past were eventually found to have gotten their excess energy from chemical reactions, not accounted for at the time, between various the machine parts and catalysts. The mysterious "wear and tear" (in fact caused by chemical breakdown) was typically explained away by design and engineering that has yet to be perfected due to lack in funds.

"Zero Point Energy" - This topic is much hyped by various scam artists (or those who are simply ignorant) who know that few people (potential investors) truly understand quantum mechanics but hear about it whenever some great discovery makes the papers. There is great danger in trying to apply "common sense" reasoning (which most magazines - "Popular Mechanics" and "How stuff works" comes to mind) to Quantum mechanics and General Relativity. Though it is highly developed and most of it's concept are well proven, there is nothing intuitive about it. It is a mistake to draw simple conclusions from it's results without a thorough understanding of the highly complex mathematics.

"Zero Point Energy" is simple the amount of energy contained in the lowest possible level in a quantum system; In other words, the energy of a "perfect" vaccuum. It is now believed that it is precisely this energy which is causing the expansion of our universe to accelerate. The amount of energy at the "zero point" is believed by many scientists to be infinite.

Psuedo-scientist-inventors believe you can tap into this infinite source of energy to do work. Remember that to do work you need a difference of energy and energy is inherently a relative value (much the same way position is). Just because infinite energy permeates the universe does not mean you can tap it unless you had an energy source of higher value.

How can something be greater than infinity? As I stated, quantum mechanics does not obey common sense.

As far as mathematics or scientific theories being wrong. It is vary rare, in the history of physics, that a theory is completely overturned. As far as I'm aware, the last time this happened was in the 1890s during the "Michelson–Morley" experiments (very interesting reading on Wiki) when the "aether" theory of light was disproven.

Hope this makes some sense.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It certainly does make sense, but there are some things a simpelton like myself refuse to believe. Like infinite. In my perfect world that word doesn't exist. Everything is finite, even if it cannot be accurately determined. Everything has a relative value, even a number so absurdly big that we cannot comprehend it. So there cannot be an infinite amount of energy available anywhere. At least not if we assume einstein was right. And if you claim he is, then infinite doesn't exist.
As for the video. I don't know if you just read the text on the homepage, or aquired a copy of the video. But if you see the video, you'll see that all those inventors who stumbled upon mashines of this sort are sceptical about the output readings. Some have spent much more money on accurate measuring devices and in some cases staff than on the actual mashine. They may not know much more about this stuff than I do (which isn't much), so they seek professional assistance to clarify where the extra energy comes from. And at least at the time the documentry was made, many mashines produced energy that was unaccounted for by the few scientists that dared take a look. The movie actually mentions how common scientists avoid this kind of tech, as it's not a secure enough endavor to risk their careers on.

Anyway, there's little I can add. I only know so much.

hoopla

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Tesla wouldn't have existed if it were not for the mortgaging bubble. $100,000 super electric car for investment bankers, LOL. The Fed should nationalize Tesla and transfer the battery research department to GM; enough resources has been wasted on building a car for the rich and not one that can make electric bus more common place.[/citation]
For the performance, it is actually an extremely affordable super car. And, the market for six and seven figure cars certainly existed before the latest mortgage bubble.

Take a look around your average medical office building or financial or law firm's parking lot and I think you will see plenty of cars (Merc S600, Porsche 911 Turbo, Audi S8) that cost close-to, or over, $100k. If you figure in fuel costs, a lot of them could save money with a Tesla Roadster.

Status
Not open for further replies.