Tested: OnePlus 5T Is the Fastest-Charging Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisbales

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
This is pretty irrelevant without knowing the sizes of the batteries. "Toyota Camry gas tank reaches 50% full WAY before the Ford F250!!" Please consider adding how many mAH you get in the same amount of time. But even that isn't terribly useful without knowing how long the phone will last on that charge. If one phone gets to 50% but only lasts for 2 hours on that charge, while another phone gets to 40% but lasts 4 hours on that charge, now we're talking about real world.

mtgoodrum

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
Even more interesting when you look at the battery size of each phone.

OnePlus 5t 3300mAh
LG V30 3300mAh
Apple iPhone X 2716mAh
Apple iPhone 8 1821mAh
Apple iPhone 8 Plus 2691mAh
Google Pixel 2 2700 mAh
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 3300mAh

fakerz72

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
WRONG. Real world would be how long your battery would last vs a 1 hr charge. Let's use GSMArena's endurance rating for the pixel 2 and the iphone 8. i8 has 66hr rating, p2 has a 75 hr rating. After one hour of charge, the iphone 8 ends up with 80% of it's 66 hour rating, or 52.8 hours of endurance. The pixel 2 has 75% of it's 75 hr rating, or 56.25 hours of endurance. It's not a big difference but it's still enough to flip the standings.

If someone wanted the most battery life off of a 1 hour charge between these two phones and they just looked at your chart, they would pick the iphone 8 and then have been wrong. That's the real world. One phone at 75% battery can last longer than a phone at 80% battery. That's the real world.

peter.gharib

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Knowing the battery size makes a huge difference. Also, I noticed that an aftermarket Quick Charge 3.0 charger seems to charge my phone faster than the stock Samsung charger that came with it in the box, Which apparently is a Quick Charge 2.0.
With an Anker 3.0 Quick Charge charger I can charge my Samsung Galaxy S8 plus from 0 to full in one and a half hours.

sbharadwaj15

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
The list is wrong, no mention about oneplus5 and HTC u11 which are obvious mentions. Dash charge is pretty fast than most of the phones on the list.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi, crhisbales, please note we've added the battery capacity and battery life for each phone to provide additional context.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi, We focused on the latest flagship phones people are buying.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the comment. We added battery capacity to the post. We only tested an after-market charger with the iPhone because it's the only phone where one is required. Hopefully Samsung will ship a faster charger with the S9.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi, thanks for the comment. The Mate 9 was too old for this comparison, but we will at Mate 10 Pro when it goes on sale in U.S.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
How did you measure the capacities and charge levels?
I think the numbers make some sense if the presented charge levels relate to what is shown on the phone. At low levels the shown value differ from the actual, since lithium batteries are damaged if deep discharged.
The phone manufacturers have different levels of charge remaining when the indicator reaches "zero".
Also the capacities provided by the manufacturer are just nominal. The actual capacity for individual batteries of the same model can differ quite a bit. When brand new (off the production line) the capacities differ because of variations during manufacturing. Then the capacity is slightly reduced during storage while waiting for a user. Add to that a further reduction in capacity as a result of usage and ageing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS