Tether an iPhone Connection? There's an HTML5 App For That

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
p.s.s. maybe I misunderstood it. The " $30 for every year thereafter " sounded to me like 30$ for every year, which automatically fit in my mind how I think of apple users and deals.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Assuming you are doing this tethering legally (as in within the terms of your carrier agreement), you can do it for free using iOS.

PoolSnoopy

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
[citation][nom]AAPLPRIUS[/nom]Just another of the many innovations and features found on Apple products that you can't get on Android!Haters gonna hate![/citation]

LOL, I used the internet connection on my old nokias before the iphone was even available.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]PoolSnoopy[/nom]LOL, I used the internet connection on my old nokias before the iphone was even available.[/citation]

Without a full HTML browser, and with the keyboard taking up half the screen space.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]AAPLPRIUS[/nom]Just another of the many innovations and features found on Apple products that you can't get on Android!Haters gonna hate![/citation]
***sigh***
The company also provides a tethering app for Android and BlackBerry
Captain Failboat strikes again!!!

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
So this is based on UUEncoding the data packets (converting bin to ascii text) and sending and receiving over HTTP. I can't see how this violates any carriers policy since it is, after all, over the phones web browser. I actually wrote a secure tunnel a while back using just this method (binary->encrypt->uuencode->http). The thing worked great. I was actually able to remote into my home box from our corporate workstations. And their "smart router" was none the wiser since it looked like normal http traffic.

ATT is probably well aware of all of these methods, so the money grubbing crooks just ding you when you go over 2G and severly throttle you now.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]For android phones: http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/[/citation]
Except you have to modify your phone's software. Not everyone is comfortable doing that. I don't like the bloatware, but I get mobile hotspot/wired+bluetooth tethering already so it's not necessary for me to use a 3rd party app.

BUT - I have used tether.com's blackberry AND android tethering before for people I know, and I'm very pleased with both versions. Highly recommended if you want tethering to be as easy as installing an app.

*Downside* You also have to install the client version on the computer you intend to tether, so make sure you keep a copy on a thumb drive or saved on the phone so you can install the program before you connect to the internet.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]PoolSnoopy[/nom]LOL, I used the internet connection on my old nokias before the iphone was even available.[/citation]
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Without a full HTML browser, and with the keyboard taking up half the screen space.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure he/she means they tethered with their old Nokia.
If not, then yeah, mobile browsers sucked back then.

I did the same thing with my Motorola Razr back in 2005. Tethered it to a laptop (no additional software, no phone modification, back when unlimited data plans on Cingular 3G were awesome) and shared that laptop through a switch to 3 other computers when a group of us were playing online and Comcast took a dump.
*LOVED it*

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]quotas47[/nom]Except you have to modify your phone's software. Not everyone is comfortable doing that. I don't like the bloatware, but I get mobile hotspot/wired+bluetooth tethering already so it's not necessary for me to use a 3rd party app.BUT - I have used tether.com's blackberry AND android tethering before for people I know, and I'm very pleased with both versions. Highly recommended if you want tethering to be as easy as installing an app. *Downside* You also have to install the client version on the computer you intend to tether, so make sure you keep a copy on a thumb drive or saved on the phone so you can install the program before you connect to the internet.[/citation]
Wrong on that last point. This is the app I'm using on my Thunderbolt and you don't need any kind of client application. I've tethered my laptop and my wife's Nook Color just fine without needing anything extra on either of those devices. This app is the best! And it's free. You just need to be rooted to use it.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Without a full HTML browser, and with the keyboard taking up half the screen space.[/citation]
Actually Nokia had a HTML Browser with the communicator 9210 launched more than 6 years before the first iPhone and you could tether the internet connection. The interior screen was pretty decent to view web pages with a resolution of 640x200. I know that the first iPhone had a screen with 20% more pixels than this communicator. But the last phone to carry the name communicator, the E90, had a 800x352 screen. 83% more pixels than the original iPhone, and yet it was released one or two months before the first iPhone. Also the E90 had a 24 bits screen, while the iPhone screen was 18 bits. It took Apple 2 years to launch a screen with the same color depth and 3 years to launch a screen with more pixels than the E90. Also Nokia had touch screen smartphones long before Apple.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I guess you don't read too well.
"The company also provides a tethering app for Android and BlackBerry" - was stated right in the article. But anyway, Android already has a bunch of FREE tethering apps, unlike the iPhone.

G

Wow i feel i have lost half my brain reading these comments. I've been tethering android with no cost fees or anything for years. Yes all free. Don't buy an app when plenty of free solutions are out there. And iPhone people, you have a really good phone. But not enough freedom as android is giving us, at least for now.

G

So.... in the USA you can't tether your Android phones without some 3rd party app?? And here I was thinking that your constitution protected you? What about civil rights? Sure sucks to be an American LOL

I am in Australia and I have been able to tether my Android phone to my PC (and Mac!) for years, using either a USB Cable or a WiFi Hotspot, using just the standard Android operating system functionality. And I don't have to pay my carrier any more money to do it either. It's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.