Solved! Tethering works if phone connected to wifi but not if using mobile data network

Sep 20, 2019
Hi,

I am able to tether my Samsung S9 android phone connection to my Windows 10 laptop.

However this internet only works on the laptop if the phone is connected to internet via wifi.
If it is connected to internet via mobile data, then the tethering connection works but there is no internet available on the laptop.

The symptoms are exactly the same, regardless of whether I set up the tether over usb or via a wifi hotspot.

Wondering if anyone could help me out with that?

Solution
Sounds like your carrier/service provider has you set up to not be able to connect via data. Not shocking. They could have limited the account so that it is not able to use data for tethering, to limit how much data can be used, and to limit the speed of data.

This would not effect WiFi because it is not through your carrier/service provider that the phone is through.

You will have to contact them to see if they had restricted such access in any way. Only they can answer that.
Sounds like your carrier/service provider has you set up to not be able to connect via data. Not shocking. They could have limited the account so that it is not able to use data for tethering, to limit how much data can be used, and to limit the speed of data.

This would not effect WiFi because it is not through your carrier/service provider that the phone is through.

You will have to contact them to see if they had restricted such access in any way. Only they can answer that.

Solution
Sep 20, 2019
Oh I see.
Thanks for the quick answer, I actually didn't know that carrier could block tethering.
That's not cool. How would they even do that?!
I guess I'll have to take it to them then.
Thanks!