Tetris: It's Good for the Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Its not that gamers arent clever, its the fact the most choose to use that brain power for the wrong reasons, like killing Zombies!

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Boxa786[/nom]Its not that gamers arent clever, its the fact the most choose to use that brain power for the wrong reasons, like killing Zombies![/citation]

Killing zombies -> Save the world -> Save the world is a good reason to use your brain power.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
As much as I hate to admit it, games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band actually translate better into brain stimulation than FPSs. Puzzle and RPG games (at least one's with some kind of strategy involved, mostly turn-based), I'm sure, are probably good brain stimulants as well.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
so virus buster must be better? because you actually need to consider what color goes where... but in tetris there's shapes...hmmm

and thicker cortex's can delay alzheimer's as well right?

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Wait, so packing groceries must make a person a super genius! It's like 3D tetris! We better start paying those guys 50,000 year, and in most cases bring them back to the grocery stores!

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya ive always thought games have alot of beneficial perks, weirdly ive learned some money managemnt skills from games etc..and now im rich!!!!

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]As much as I hate to admit it, games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band actually translate better into brain stimulation than FPSs. Puzzle and RPG games (at least one's with some kind of strategy involved, mostly turn-based), I'm sure, are probably good brain stimulants as well.[/citation]
I completely disagree with that but you do learn/employ a different set of skills. Playing games like left for dead is more than killing zombies, you have to work well and communicate well with your team toward a common goal, you also have to keep a keen sense of sight and hearing to find hidden items and hear enemies. There is also the strategy factor in them, some could argue that it is far more nuanced than any puzzle game.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]As much as I hate to admit it, games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band actually translate better into brain stimulation than FPSs.[/citation]
Not so sure about that, I'm not saying a FPS is better, but I am saying they are completely different and it would be hard to judge which is "better."
The music games are mostly just hitting buttons and getting the rhythm of a song.
You don't have the benefit of reading/writing the music like a musician will and the songs are the same the 2nd and 100th time you play them.
However, listening to music has always shown significant brain activity which is where most of it's benefit would be.

Most FPS's require a large amount of spatial ability for judging distances. Some frequently change according to the current situation forcing you to think your way through problems.
A large amount of the games are based on quick reactions and hand eye co-ordination though. Not life changing abilities but potentially useful, nonetheless.

Anyway, this is another reason why I don't understand the government trying to bring video games down. Our military sees it as a training (simulations) and a recruiting tool (America's Army). But I digress....

joeman42

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Once upon a time I was working a solo swing shift job that allowed me to play tetris for hours on end. Another worker on the night shift also discovered the same game on a shared PC. For weeks we would waste hours topping each other's high score. Our scores were getting so high that we barely had time to do our actual job. Then, unable to get any better, I discovered the high score table was in a text file. Deviously, I faked scores until my name was the only one. After a week of frustration by my rival (and my amusement) I finally 'fessed up to the deception. I guess it really does make you smarter.

JumpKickJoe

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
shite...... i play tetris all the time on my phone and still forget shite....must be all the tequila and vodka i sip on, killing the grey matter that tetris is building.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
And the study claimed that the excessive playing will result in the grey matter coming out of your ears in a form of a licorice candy!

Status
Not open for further replies.