Tetris: It's Good for the Brain

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Why did the study only consist of adolescent girls? Would tetris have a negative effect on adolescent boys i wonder?

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]Why did the study only consist of adolescent girls? Would tetris have a negative effect on adolescent boys i wonder?[/citation]
nah, the virgin nerd scientists prolly wanted to examine chicks only

Fox Montage

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]As much as I hate to admit it, games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band actually translate better into brain stimulation than FPSs. Puzzle and RPG games (at least one's with some kind of strategy involved, mostly turn-based), I'm sure, are probably good brain stimulants as well.[/citation]

True, but have you ever played Unreal Tournament? That's a constant "challenging visuospatial task" if ever there was one.

jangocat

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I'm not surprised. There have been studies before that show crossword, sudoku, and tile games are all good for your brain. Pretty much anything that makes you think or problem solve is probably good for you. Video games are also good for reaction time and hand eye coordination.

G

This isn't surprising at all. It's pretty much already been established that games do this. Games like Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution require a lot of coordination. Most games require at least some degree of problem solving skills and/or creating thinking to advance. The Lego Star Wars games come to mind. Basically every area is a puzzle where you have to figure out how to advance.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Why does this dude's articles always have grammatical errors? Something to double check, especially in an article about brain function.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I am actually surprised nobody mentioned this before in the comments: it's not the time that you play tetris that makes the difference in the test girls, it's what they would do if they were not playing tetris. ALL the games and whatever challenges you to improve or even routinely solve puzzles instead of ... oo, facebooking all the time is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.