The 10 Most Searched and Most Visited Websites of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I can't derive the logic behind people searching for facebook.com in search engines. People need to be informed that there is an address bar in their browser to type it in.

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah I was sure that facebook will come first. Still i was expecting for some torrent sites to be in top 10 (because of a lot of seeds in some movie and game torrents)

G

Probably won't be long before we see the removal of the address bar from all major browsers and the phrase "Type "Toms Hardware" into a search engine" replaces "visit us at tomshardware.com".

But yes, never quite understood the logic behind typing "www.facebook.com" into Google. Typing "facebook", yes, can get that on the first few visits, but seriously does nobody use bookmarks or favourities anymore?

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]ksampanna[/nom]I can't derive the logic behind people searching for facebook.com in search engines. People need to be informed that there is an address bar in their browser to type it in.[/citation]
they sometimes wright that wrong in the search bar, happens with everyone, maybe browsers should use only one box like IE9, 10, Opera, Chrome

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
[citation][nom]ksampanna[/nom]I can't derive the logic behind people searching for facebook.com in search engines. People need to be informed that there is an address bar in their browser to type it in.[/citation]
well search engine guards against lazy typos at the cost of 2 clicks

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
This points out how many are the people who have no idea how to use a browser. They don't know anything about address bar and bookmarks, which is the most simple things in browsing.
I've seen people who wants to search something in the web and they open the browser and type in the address bar random words with no www or .com or anything, just plain text, for example "what's the fastest car in the world". These are people who don't even know how to make Google as a home page or how to type an address.
Every time i put hands on someone's computer, i see tons of useless programs starting with windows and tons of useless programs, plug ins, search bars ecc., installed on their system.
When i check their system, i always find hundreds of registry errors, bunch of gb of space waiting to be cleaned, 30 to 40% hdd fragmentation levels ecc.
Not to mention, that there's still a big % of users who doesn't have antivirus program installed or doesn't even know what this is.
Who the hell types "www.facebook.com" or "facebook login" in Google???? Please....

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
A lot of them doesn't surprise me. Despite me telling my mum that the search bar in firefox is google (and despite it saying google), she continues to search google in order to get to the google homepage.

Old people gonna old.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
On many computers, the cursor starts in the search field when Google is the homepage instead of in the address bar. So, no surprise here.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
you would be surprised to know that most people aren't web educated

JohnA

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Think about what most people have as a homepage. Many people have toolbars installed, whether they wanted them or not. Many of those pages open with the cursor in a search bar. Rather than clicking at the top, they just start typing.

I have att (bellsouth) as my ISP. If I type in bellsouth.net to check my mail (or leave it as my homepage, which the modem install changes it to), it redirects to
http://att.my.yahoo.com/
Same thing happens every time you update IE, since it MUST change your homepage to MSN
http://www.msn.com/?ocid=iehp
See for yourself why people just type it into the search bar. It's actually the same amount of work. You can type it in the searchbar, then click on the first link, or you can click on the address bar, and then type it in. Most people are lazy and don't care, as long as it works.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
8) www.facebook.com
Wow. I guess there's a lot of people who can't distinguish their URL bar from their search bar. Or maybe browsers such as Chrome that has a single URL/search bar do a search for eveything entered, even URLs?

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
It's not that shocking when you consider the majority of the population has an IQ below 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.