The 9 New Features Coming in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jundaboy[/nom]stop comparing everything with iOS crap. Android had voice recognition way before apple. (vlingo etc.) and even those were better that siri.[/citation]
sorry to burst your bubble but android's voice recognition sucks really bad....half the time it does not work properly...on the other hand iOS voice recognition has never let me down....it works every time

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Am I the only one who picked up on the secret message here? Google is trying to tell us that Yoshihiko Noda is a robot! Just as I suspected all along! -insert dramatic music and close up on my steel gazing eyes-

boiler1990

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
While I am looking forward to getting the update on my Nexus, what I am truly concerned about is battery life.

I barely make it to the end of the day with my Nexus, and usually use a second battery. Now Google is improving the UI/XI, but it is going to require more hardware resources and therefore drain the battery faster. I don't want to use an extended battery since it's going to ruin the profile of the device and make it much heavier.

While I'm looking forward to the update, I am not looking forward to using it on my Nexus.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Google should make it clear if this smoother UI means less battery life.
I understood it as ramping up the clock speed faster but also going back faster to idle. In some cases it is more efficient since there are other resources (other than the cpu) that can go idle faster too. In my case, display is still the biggest battery drainer anyway.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Good features. Not great, but good enough for making me want the update sooner than later! I'm still stuck with 4.0.1 on my Galaxy Nexus on Videotron in Canada. I guess I'll give a peek at flashing procedures...

Also, I wonder how Project Butter will affect battery life.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]the smoother UI, offline voice typing, and the new voice search functionality is what I'm excited about. Great work as always Google!I know OEMs will take forever to release this update for their devices, so I hope a new cyanogenmod will be in the works soon.[/citation]

all i want is the offline vioce

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]sorry to burst your bubble but android's voice recognition sucks really bad....half the time it does not work properly...on the other hand iOS voice recognition has never let me down....it works every time[/citation]

i find it is bad when i am trying to make a call with my bluetooth headset (might be the headset) but when i am using it for texting it is really good

[citation][nom]GalaxyNexusFan[/nom]My poor unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus is still on 4.0.2. Getting tired of Google not pushed OS updates to developers and their best customers. I'm already Apple in every other way. Don't make me leave you![/citation]

you should try checking for updates on the "about phone" option but there is a way you can force it to check for an update too. i can't remember right now just google it. if you really want it i heard that if you do a recovery of the phone it will download the latest version of android for you. i was able to get ICS 4.0.4 on my GSM nexus S from Telus back in April

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Why is a smooth user interface a "feature"? Considering how much power most of the Android phones pack, they should be smooth to begin with...

Way to go to make Apple work harder

sicofante

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Why is a smooth user interface a "feature"? Considering how much power most of the Android phones pack, they should be smooth to begin with...[/citation]
Agreed. Look at what Nokia made with N9's hardware and Meego (or Lumia's 800 and WP7) and now look back at those quad core Android phones trying to be "smooth" and meeting day's end on a single charge. Android is easily the least efficient mobile OS out there.

sicofante

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Why is a smooth user interface a "feature"? Considering how much power most of the Android phones pack, they should be smooth to begin with...[/citation]
Agreed. Look at what Nokia made with N9's hardware and Meego (or Lumia's 800 and WP7) and now look back at those quad core Android phones trying to be "smooth" and meeting day's end on a single charge. Android is easily the least efficient mobile OS out there.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Why is a smooth user interface a "feature"? Considering how much power most of the Android phones pack, they should be smooth to begin with...Way to go to make Apple work harder[/citation]
Indeed. It shows how inadaquate the OS is programmed.

Anwyway.

1) It should have been super-smooth already with amount of cpu/gpu power inside most Android device already! That Goolge has the nerve to FINALLY do something about their incompetent UI-programming and sel it off as a feature is pure arrogance!

2) Who the fuck cares about that. Does it finally have the capability to REMOVE redundant homescreens? Because I find that MORE important!

3) I don't want better camera preview, I want better camera pictures! Period!

4) Great for native english speaker but totally useless for me (as allways).

5) Great for hini and thai. Unfortunatly I;m not one of them so...

6) I hope that with "expanded" you mean compatible with Nokia's symbian, winphones and soon iPhone's NFC systems. Otherwise I'm not interested.

7) Funny I thought Meego was THE "pioneer in the smartphone notification space" not Android. In fact Nokia Belle has a better notification system IMHO than e.g. Android 2.3 which majority of phones comes equipped with today. So perhaps instead showing off these 'new features' why not push ICS onto EVERY handset NOW!!! Then every phone at least will have a notification area.

8) So in essence it isn't fully integrated while Google is in the position to fully integrate the damn thing in the first place. Then why not simply license VLingo or something like Samsung has done. S-Voice is nothing more than a custom-made VLingo for Samsung BY VLINGO.

9) WTF!

But the one really important feature that IS missing and which made Android the better surfing experience is not mentioned here. The removal of Flash-player! Making any future Android a half-baked attempt to copy-cat iOS. I'd rather have a true desktop web-experience then a half-baked sir-clone (which doesn't even work in my native language anyway).

And give me proper 2-way call recording, dammit! That would be a real feature! Instead of all these iOS copy-gimmicks! FU Google!

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jundaboy[/nom]stop comparing everything with iOS crap. Android had voice recognition way before apple. (vlingo etc.) and even those were better that siri.[/citation]

Vlingo was launched on iOS in 2008 before Android was launched. - http://blog.vlingo.com/about-us/

It was Siri pre Siri - Android launched a few years after iOS.

G

Ha, I have this on my S3 and needless to say it is nothing short of amazing... it was creepy when Google Now told me how long it would take me to get to my school, and I hadn't been there since last semester... before I got my S3 which wasn't equipped with Google Now when I got it.... the new voice recognition is a BEAST and the user interface is MUCH more faster and responsive on the S3 than the Nexus because of the better hardware on it.. Thank God for XDA

Status
Not open for further replies.