The Apple Way Created Android, Says Nokia CEO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]guanyu210379[/nom]Apple and Android is just like the evolution.Apple is the monkey and Android is the human.[/citation]

I think Apple is the human, and Android is the cheap inflatable sex doll.

G

I definitely sense a degree of cynicism and jabbing at both of them, moreso google than apple of course. The simple fact of the matter is Google came out of nowhere and completely crushed Symbian overnight, which speaks volumes of his platform and his company as a whole. I'll give apple praise for their work on iOS and really shifting the industry where it needed to go, but working in IT I have always known that this is where we would end up. In fact I was rather surprised it took this long to get there (touchscreen/buttonless UI's). I mean heck, Star Trek had the iPad like 20 years ago. I've been wanting one of those things since the doc was using them to perform real time xrays of your body.

Anyway, Symbian has fallen so far off the map that nobody even knows what it is anymore, not that anyone ever did. He probably wishes he could copy apple/google too but realizes how silly it would look and knows Nokia couldnt survive the lawsuits. His pride is what made him choose Microsoft, and it's his pride which will ruin his company since Windows Mobile is just as much trash as it always was and will never last vs apple/google.

Meanwhile apple will continue to give away half their customer base to google by locking down their software/platforms and google will happily pick up the remaining base.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I agree with the notion of nobody, no company in this case, being really inventive as the evolution in technology lately has been reinventing, refining or grouping features that already existed, or a way to copy or replicate something already patented. But, also nobody has defined what being creative really is. And creative this days may be selecting the features for your next OS. If you guess them right and "build them right, they will come" and buy. But you need to come with a very solid package of functionality and user friendliness. If you round this up and you can see a clear intention on the product and the company responsible for it you can say it was its "inventor" its creator. Also as a creative person I was taught to be always inspired on nature. So to me the real creative genius is the nature who created us.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Apple has a closed wall approach to their applications and controls the marketplace with a firm hand. In exchange, the end user gets a reasonable assurance that their environment will have as few problems as possible. It's when you stray off that reservation that you take the risk into your own hands. Sure, you can jailbreak your phone, but don't expect Apple to honor your warranty when they specifically warn you that such behavior can void your warranty.

On the other side is Android. Instead of the OS developer creating a closed wall, they make the marketplace wide and open. The carriers try to step in and put up walls both to protect their business model and to protect their customers, but the customer is just as capable of overriding the safety mechanisms and taking their chances.

As far as functionality, I think both iOS and Android are on even footing, as long as Google and Apple continue to invest in future development. They both run on essentially the same chips, so hardware specs should remain relatively similar. The only space where the two will differentiate themselves will be feature sets and security.

Moving forward into the future, I can see more and more malware developer targeting smart phones. This will especially become more problematic as more and more people use their phones to conduct financial transactions. Google will have to take a more active role in fighting these attempts to steal customer information. At the same time, I see Apple having and easier job fighting these incursions since they have the mechanisms in place already to detect problems and shut down malicious apps before they get distributed.

G

I wonder if this strategy will be the end of nokia? I really was looking forward to android nokia...

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I think its natural to assume Apple created Android, but I also think Android would be here and just as popular without the iOS.[/citation]

Android is already here and will soon overtaking iOS. Its the other way round now, with apple imitating Android with its iOS5!

gametstr

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I wouldn't think of it that way. Google has always been on the look out for new products to its line. Sooner or later it would have stepped in to mobile market anyway.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Wait.

Android had its development roots with Android Inc in 2003. They were bought by Google in 2005. It was then they decided to make a mobile OS based on Linux.

So... I don't think Apple created anything and Nokia is just spouting stuff out of its rear.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]beta tester[/nom]All content on the phone must go via Microsoft at Redmond, which is the reason why you cannot set a custom ringtone on a Windows Phone (because Microsoft wants to control all the ringtones itself)[/citation]
I could set custom ringtone when I owned a Windows Phone.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Believe me, windows has no business in the phone sector.
What are you with an operating system that has no support, and no programs and files?
you're better off with android or the iphone!

Windows for phones is like windows CE. People bought it because there was nothing else, but that's no longer true today.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I'm surprised he knows so little about the competition. After all Android and iOS were both made as a response to Windows Mobile, which the people behind the OSs feared would allow Microsoft to dominate all platforms, however Google probably did realise that iOS was the enemy when they saw Windows Mobile 5 and 6 and planned accordingly. Personally I look forward to seeing the mobile OSs actually developed as a response to iOS, like WebOS, making their dent on the market.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I think its natural to assume Apple created Android, but I also think Android would be here and just as popular without the iOS.[/citation]
definitly because if it wasn't Apple it would have been Microsoft with Windows Mobile or RIM with Blackberry who where conquering Nokia's position at that time.

What Elop doesn't seem to understand is that this has nothing to do with the Smartphone OS but everything with Navteq. The US companies want navteq back in their paws. Therefore a combined attack and a mole inside should do the trick.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]R6ex[/nom]I'm looking forward to Nokia's Windows Phones. I need a new phone by end 2011. I like the idea that Windows Phone & Windows OS will be closely linked.[/citation]
Yeah. ditching every technology advantage with each OS revision. That's current M$ strategy... a good one (considering how wel THEY fare) >:-> Nokia went to bed with the devil (everybody knows that except the fins aparantly) and the wrong one too. Their current OS is miles ahead of anything with functionality. For god's sake they're the only smartphones left that can record phonecalls. A Major advantage for a professional road warrior (like myself). If my current C7 eventually dies then I'm back in the stone-age. With phones with nice big screens and flashy UI's but none of the communication-features that I took for granted these last 4 years.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]quantum mask[/nom]I could set custom ringtone when I owned a Windows Phone.[/citation]
You mean: "when I had a Windows Mobile 6.x phone"
You my not know it but Windows Phone 7 is vastly different then Windows Mobile. They litterally threw out the entire featureset out the windows (no pun intended) and started all over again.

To lolsymbian: Touch screen devices have been around since well 2000 (Palm, Psion etc...). Tablet-like devices (like in star trek) from around 2000 (Microsoft Pocket PC 2000). Where have you been lateley?

fact is that Apple's success is based on appearance and form not on functionality while Nokia/Symbian (and Windows Mobile from yesteryear) success is from functionality. The "in-crowd" today value form over substance (which shows how decadent mostly the youth of today really is, since they're the prime target-audience for Apple's products). Nokia should just stick around, because once the iOS/Androidfanboys realise their devices lack necessary functionality (especially when they'll start using their devices for other comms then facebook and twitter) they'll come back.

I myself defected the Windows Mobile 6 platform to Nokia Symbian (without any regret) because of defunkt functionality in Windows Phone 7. I tried a iPhone 2G myself when they came out and dumbed it after 1 month. Never looked at Apple's devices again. I investigated whether Android could offer me the functionality that I took for granted in Windows Mobile (and now Symbian) and all I found was a myriad of OS revisions which mostly lacked what I needed. Funny thing with android was that a few 1.6-devices did offer what i needed (bar the speed) but these features where removed in later Android versions. So Android is a no-go for me. And seem to offer more and more eye-candy with less usefull features with every revision.

But like I said. For now, eye-candy is important. Unfortunatly it will be important for the next few years. Perhaps in the future substance will matter again.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]I can see some truth to his statements, but at the same time you could really say that about anything.X caused Y which then caused Z to made. But in reality it was more like this: google decided to make a phone OS. they look at apple to see what makes their OS so popular(besides apple zombies), then look at its flaws and what they think the market would like to have as an alternative. Boom android is born.[/citation]
I think this is the way it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.