The Best Flagship Phones of 2017, Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterioso

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
Your battery life assessment of the LG V30 is absolutely wrong. Either you received a bad sample phone or your settings are incorrect. The majority of the web reviews and comparisons of the LG V30 against it's price point competitors (iPhone 8X, Samsung S8X/Note 8, and Pixel 2X), shows the LG V30 performing at or near the top in battery tests.

misterioso

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
LG V30 Battery life according to...

The Verge: "Impressive speed and battery life"
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design

TechRadar: "Either way, we’ve been delighted by the 3,300mAh battery in the non-final unit. Ringing in at the same size as the cell found with the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, all-day battery life is an easy goal for this phone to meet."
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/lg-v30/3

DigitalTrends: "The battery life on the V30 is impressive, as we consistently saw a day and a half from its fully charged 3,300mAh cell, even on the pre-production software, with medium to heavy use."
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/lg-v30-review/

9to5Google: "Battery life has also been a big question surrounding the V30. A high-resolution 6-inch display combined with a 3,300 mAh battery isn’t necessarily a great formula, but on the V30 it actually holds up pretty well. Over the past few days, the phone’s battery has easily gotten me through each day, regardless of the amount of use."
https://9to5google.com/2017/09/05/lg-v30-display-battery-camera-impressions/

Phone Battles: Battery Life Test! LG V30 vs Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone 8 Plus vs Xperia XZ Premium. LG V30 wins.
https://youtu.be/4A4m0hJz5ng

Engadget: "When it comes to day-to-day use, the V30 is pretty average. On a typical day, I'd pull the V30 off the charger at around 8 AM, take it to work, run it through my usual routine, and get a low-battery warning at around 9 PM. That's not bad -- I got similar results out of the Galaxy Note 8, and I've occasionally found the V30 still clinging to life after nights when I had forgotten to charge it."
https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/28/lg-v30-review/

ZDNet: "On this retail version, battery life has been excellent, even exceeding what I see on the larger Note 8 and other smartphones in my collection. You can get through a full, rather heavy day with the LG V30."
http://www.zdnet.com/product/lg-v30/

rickneworleansla

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
I stopped reading after then part about iPhone 8 Plus / X camera being better than the Pixel 2. I've done several comparisons not knowing which camera the pictures came from. I've even given the tests to friends or relatives for comparison. Every single time it's been Pixel 2 easily in first place, the S8 in the middle, and the iPhone 8 plus dead last.

kopara76

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
How does galaxy s8+ score a 4 but the note 8 a 2? The only description you gave the s8+ is the dual pixel capability which the note 8 also has in addition to OIS for both wide and telephoto lenses. In addition, dxomark rates note 8 even with the iPhone 8+ even though most sites rates note 8 better for noise reduction (OIS both lenses ) and better low light performance and dual pixels capability.

schmidke

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Good analysis. Makes comparison amongst these to phones easier. What is missing though for the camera is the actual lens spec. I.e. 28mm, 30mm etc. The lower the wider of course. I have generally found that the Samsung's are wider angled than the Apple. 1 or 2 mm may sound small, until you try it. Maybe you can update these tests to show this?

ianrg

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with KOPARA76. The Camera figures for the Note 8 vs the s8+ look like they are wrong. The superior camera on the Note 8 is given a 2, whilst the inferior camera on the s8+ is given a 4. I think these are the wrong way round and this would change who comes first.

pdaguru.okhiria81

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
There's is an error in camera comparison here . Maybe some guess work without any actual test. Otherwise, how could you even rate iPhone 8 over note 8 let alone rating an S8 over the almighty note 8? Go and carry out some test dear.

josh3326

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I've compared all of those phone’s cameras with the exception of the iPhone X. I disagree with the article in saying that the iPhone has the best camera. Lowlight it tends to soften the image, while the highlights in the clouds and other objects are blown out more. Pixel 2 came out on top in almost all my tests. I even enlarged and printed quite a few samples at Costco, hung them on the way, and let people choose which was the best. They never knew they were from cell phones. Almost all of them picked the pixel. Portrait mode mostly went to the iPhone. However, the Pixel 2 produced the most detailed portrait, but had the edge of the subject blurred when trying to change the background. If Google can fix that, then the Pixel would easily win. I allowed other people pick the best ones, giving the test more than one set of eyes to judge.

ryujinmaru

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Like others here, I disagree with the assessment of the cameras on this website. In many blind tests I have seen, and on my own assessment when compared to a friend's photos of the same subject, the Pixel 2 easily beats the iPhone 8 plus. Video is about the same with them trading blows, with stabilisation better on the Pixel and iPhone better in low light, with audio being rubbish on both phones.

laaj1212

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Camera comparison result shows that Marijuana isn't good for eyes, or if one is a tech reviwer he/she shoulf stick with the original results not personal preferences. The reality is iPhone only has edge in Raw CPU comparison which in today's world really isn't necessary as result can be written iPhone is faster than competition but you can't say any phine slower for any type user.

ianrg

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Whether Brand X's camera is better than Brand Y's is not really the issue with this review. What the article is saying is that Brand X (Samsung) has two virtually identical and related cameras but one is superior because it a dual camera. However, this is conflict with the results: the one with the superior camera (Note 8) is given a lower score than the inferior camera in the s8+. One way or another this is wrong - if the superior camera is worse then this should be discussed as a major issue in the article, or, more likely, the rating numbers are wrong

ncuk

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Dear Toms's Guide,

after reading this ridiculous post, you will be avoided in the future and not taken for serious.

Sincerely,

A guest.

devon.k.ellis

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
This would have been a cool article if any of the data used were accurate. In no world does the iPhone X have a better camera than the Pixel 2, and in no world does the Note 8 produce brightness levels below the iPhone X (the Note 8 is actually double the brightness of the iPhone X) [to name two examples]. This article is clearly pro-Apple even to the point of fudging all the numbers, so I'm disappointed by that as an iOS/Android neutral smartphone connoisseur.

Status
Not open for further replies.