The Best Universal Remotes of 2017 (All Happen To Be From Logitech)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert_481

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
Well, I can't say I agree with your assessment. Spec-wise, the Harmony's are absolutely great, actual usage, not so much. The cloud based storage of the remotes is broken at the moment, you cannot change anything, but even when it's working, the software just isn't as good as the specs -- ever. Also why, oh why doesn't Logitech put real number keys on their upper end remotes?? I need an upper end remote because I have a lot of devices, but I totally hate the minimalist physical buttons.

Truth be told, I don't know of anything better because all the review sites are enamored with the Harmony's, but I sure would like to hear of something!!

The better remotes are for custom installers not consumers
The URC Pro and RTI remotes are excellent but require programming and are not cheap. They can work over IR, RF, and WIFI. They have hard button remotes which are usually better for AV than a touchscreen but they have apps if you want to go that way too.
The programming software isn't easy to master for most people and isn't usually out there for the end user. You can customize the layout and set up macros in any way you like since the programming isn't on the cloud. You can teach commands from other remotes into your database. In the RTI you can even enter hex codes and set up auto repeats for commands that are fussy.

Robert_481

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
Thanks, I'll have to take a look at those, though I really don't want to have to do raw programming on something for home!

I expect Logitech to get their software fixed eventually, but it sure seems like there's an opening for some competition in the home market.

Status
Not open for further replies.