The Creator of the Android Phone Wants to Destroy It

manofcity1

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Tiny screen? Does this guy know people want big handsets? He made a phone,that was only could only be use with Sprint,cutting himself off from the other big 3. What I read The EP,was not usable with T mobile,(unlocked ones) without Sprint sofewear in it. Not sure about the other 2. He should just give it up,go back working for Google. I believe EP,now can get them for less $250-$400.new,but I don't think there will be updates for it.
So who would want it?

Oct 11, 2018
Arrggg. Please edit this article!

"Think of it as an AI-powered device with a tiny screen that is supposed to reply to your text messages AS IF IT was you and make calls on your behalf."

"The Essential Phone PH-1 was a beautiful disaster that nobody wanted to buy and even FEWER people knew about."

"Now, its creator and inventor of Android is reportedly on a mission to destroy Android phones as we know them to eliminate our screen ADDICTION."

There might be more.

grosbach

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This article is in News, but it contains almost nothing that's news. Mr. Diaz's opinions, which the article does contain, seem reasonable, though I doubt anyone needs them. And does anyone copyedit, or even proofread, these things before they're posted?

StygianAgenda

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Yeah, umm... no thanks.

If I find an AI poking around in my personal communications, I'll come see it's NAND with a 440v live wire and give it a brain freeze it'll never forget.

To think that *everyone* (or anyone?) will want something like this, makes me believe Rubin has lost his f'ing mind. What he fails to realize is that there's a tremendous number of us Android users that want Android, just not our carrier's bloated and locked down roms of it. Standardize a method of allowing Android users to replace their carrier rom with a certified clean vanilla rom, and you'll have our attention. But trying to tell us that we don't need what we've put so much time and money into over the past 20+ years is the most clueless thing I've heard all day, this side of politics.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
@samuel.marc.cook. Sorry for those errors. Those have been corrected.