News The Google Pixel 6 is a year behind other flagships — here’s how

Status
Not open for further replies.

centauri0

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
This article wasn't well thought out at all or was just trying to bash a phone for attention, and without any hard facts . While you state one fact on the types of 5G modems, you didn't actually test 5G speeds. 32Mbps and 58Mbps on the iPhone 12 and 13 are not 5G that's 4G. My Pixel 4 from 2019 can do over 50Mbps in the middle of nowhere on 4G. So if your iPhone 12 is only getting 32.72 something is wrong. Show us how fast the the 12, or 13 are in the 200 to 500Mbps range of real 5G speeds next time.

Reactions: TekWreck

zilexa0

Commendable
Oct 24, 2021
Wow Tom's Guide has really sunk to the Let's-Bash-A-Phone-Using-Misinformation level.
My Pixel 1 even has higher speeds (~100Mbps in Amsterdam) than what is being reported here. All speeds mentioned are not even LTE-Advanced (4G) max speeds. They do not max out the capabilities of the X55 modem.

Fact is, 5G is mostly just 4G (LTE-A) when it comes to speed. There are a few efficiency optimisations purely beneficial to the mobile network provider. Real 5G speeds are barely available in the world simply because there is no need for providers to provide that and because ther would need to install a mobile phone tower on at least every corner of every street due to the extremely high frequency and still it would only work outside, not inside buildings, since high frequencies don't penetrate concrete. That's just physics.

Fact is also that not a single provider in the world has planned to implement what is necessary to benefit from the X60 modem, since they don't even need to max out the X55 modem.

Be happy with that X55 modem. It allows for speeds that are sufficient for plenty of years even after the Pixel 6 is End-Of-Life.
Apple had no reason to pay more for the more expensive X60 modem.

Oct 24, 2021
This article wasn't well thought out at all or was just trying to bash a phone for attention, and without any hard facts . While you state one fact on the types of 5G modems, you didn't actually test 5G speeds. 32Mbps and 58Mbps on the iPhone 12 and 13 are not 5G that's 4G. My Pixel 4 from 2019 can do over 50Mbps in the middle of nowhere on 4G. So if your iPhone 12 is only getting 32.72 something is wrong. Show us how fast the the 12, or 13 are in the 200 to 500Mbps range of real 5G speeds next time.
Yeah..dont want to make a fuss abt this,but it getting out of control. Looks like there's a company who willing to pay for webs article to bash others product especially if they themself didnt have a strong product on the year. Cos i notice a trend especially after some product launching, some writers go all out looking for the simplest weakness of the company they dont favors. Not just here,but many established sites doings the same. I guess the guerilla warfare not only happened out in the jungle.lol. got sick after awhile as i personally dont mind criticism, but make it constructive not just a blindly nit picking as peoples can tell sooner later. Action speaks louder,makes me thinks the highly praised one actually stumbling now..we ll see..peace out

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your comment but you are incorrect. Both iPhones displayed 5G during the test. Of course 5G speeds can go faster but it varies based on location.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Hi no bashing going on here. The modem is literally a year older than what’s found in other flagships and we will report back on how that impacts this particular phone when we post our full review. We think people should know about this trade off now because orders are open now.
Yeah..dont want to make a fuss abt this,but it getting out of control. Looks like there's a company who willing to pay for webs article to bash others product especially if they themself didnt have a strong product on the year. Cos i notice a trend especially after some product launching, some writers go all out looking for the simplest weakness of the company they dont favors. Not just here,but many established sites doings the same. I guess the guerilla warfare not only happened out in the jungle.lol. got sick after awhile as i personally dont mind criticism, but make it constructive not just a blindly nit picking as peoples can tell sooner later. Action speaks louder,makes me thinks the highly praised one actually stumbling now..we ll see..peace out

Oct 24, 2021
Hi no bashing going on here. The modem is literally a year older than what’s found in other flagships and we will report back on how that impacts this particular phone when we post our full review. We think people should know about this trade off now because orders are open now.
That modem makes almost no difference at all to most end users! P6's WiFi6e support is FAR more significant.

Reactions: Puiucs
Oct 24, 2021
I agree this article headline is real cheap clickbait! The author carved out one almost irrelevant feature and tries to paste it over the whole phone line. "Android Authority" polls it as the HOTTEST CELLPHONE RELEASE OF THE YEAR, and the hottest ever for a Pixel.

The modem mentioned is NOT EVEN A BUG or measurable shortcoming.
Even if one or 2 serious bugs are found in the P6 line, it has SO MUCH going for it, nothing is going to stop the stampede.

The straight value proposition is indisputable:
The Pixel 6 is an amazing utility performance value
The Pixel 6Pro is a superior flagship performance value

Very simple!

Puiucs

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
This article was clearly written by someone who doesn't know anything about technology or is just intentionally misleading people. The new modem does nothing to speed up things, all he tested were the antenas. the difference lies in power draw as the x60 uses the 5nm process node vs the 7nm used for the x55.

Oct 24, 2021
To offer warnings about Pixel 6's 5G performance, you conducted a single anecdotal test between an iPhone 12 & 13?
In an article written AFTER your site has hands-on with the actual phone?!
Wow.

Oct 24, 2021
Thanks for your comment but you are incorrect. Both iPhones displayed 5G during the test. Of course 5G speeds can go faster but it varies based on location.
Most phones display 5G when connected to a 5G capable tower. This doesn't mean they're getting 5G speeds or even a 5G connection. I just did a quick test om my Pixel 4 XL and it got 128Mbps on a 4G modem. Tom's guide did a test without the proper controls, didn't even get 5G performance, tested it on different phones and didn't bother to look up the actual difference between the modems they're comparing. News flash, the upgrade provides more energy efficiency, not more speed. And then they slap a headline on there that suggests the whole phone is a year behind.

Tom's guide, this is why people hate journalists these days, you give journalists a horrible name. Don't do this to your valued colleagues who do take stuff seriously but get the same horrible reputation as a result.

If the phone is still under embargo, wait until it lifts and do a proper controlled test. Or report on facts you can already find out about the difference between these two modems. Don't just make up nonsense. And yes, people are buying these phones right now, but they won't ship until after the embargo lifts. If there is a real issue they will have plenty of time to cancel their orders. But we all know there is no issue anyway, so stop using the excuse of "warning consumers".

bartfliet

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
This is just a terrible "review" if you can even call it that . The "test" (again, if you can even call this a test) was done under no controlled environment at all. Connection speed can vary from time to time, and spot to spot. I usually get between 80 and 130Mbps/s... on 4G! So yeah, this article isn't really worth much and warning people because of this one "test" you preformed is a bit on the ridiculous side.

Puiucs

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
it seems that you know more about the modems than anyone here as you think the article is fair. can you share your knowledge with us? what is the difference between x55 and x60?

Oct 24, 2021
it seems that you know more about the modems than anyone here as you think the article is fair. can you share your knowledge with us? what is the difference between x55 and x60?
https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-x60-vs-x55-5g-comparison

The only difference that impacts speed is mmWave & sub-6 aggregation. Which is great for the 12 people who actually use their phones where mmWave is available. But it will be absolutely meaningless for anyone else. And the speeds make it very clear they weren't testing in a mmWave area.

Of course the power savings are nice too. But that wasn't mentioned at all in the Tom's guide article.

Oct 24, 2021
The Pixel 6 line is shaping up as a big hit and the phone of the year based on Android Authority flash polling 86.9% think it is "teriffic."
The last piece of the puzzle just dropped. "Google Pixel 6’s Tensor chip beats Snapdragon 888, Exynos 2100 and Kirin 9000 in latest GPU benchmarks!" https://www.notebookcheck.net/Googl...88-in-real-world-GPU-benchmarks.574875.0.html

skijdean

Commendable
Dec 15, 2018
That modem makes almost no difference at all to most end users! P6's WiFi6e support is FAR more significant.
You and I are aligned TekWreak. I have a pixel 6 and I use Google Fi (wifi first for all services). I buy good enough technology...based on need.... Usually never a flagship. WiFi is critical for me based on need and value. 5G is just not important until it is ubiquitous...it isn't. This article has little value until there are research based facts that someone can use to make a decision.

zoyj

Estimable
Jan 7, 2018
Thank you for the article. I would disregard the wounded egos rising to defend the failings of their favorite company.
The use of the older 5G modem would affect speeds, as well as efficiency and battery drain. It would also impact future compatibility if one is to keep the phone for 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.