The HumanCar: Bedrock Hotrod, 2010 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
No video? + Anyone notice all these ads that you have to click "skip" to continue to the article. I REALLY detest these type of advertising schemes (yeah I called it that). If Tom's continues with this type of advertising I might consider leaving for good. (I know, I know, we've had a good run....but everything must come to an end when it/she becomes annoying.) ;)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Yea...not paying that much when I can get pretty much any used car I want for the same price. Buying a 'cheap' car would even be preferable, with the thought that you would have to use the Human powered car for years before paying off the extra money in gas.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
WTH is this? If I were to dare drive this on I-35 (Texas) it wouldn't last 10-15min with out being totaled due to the way how people drive. I remember ware one night an idiot truck driver crashed a 5k gallon tanker full of JP40 jet-fuel that was on its way to TSTC when Bush was still the idiot in chef. :s

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
"the physical requirement isn't that daunting; a senior citizen can supposedly handle one"

I live in Florida, and to be honest, a lot of the senior citizens around here have trouble with handling regular cars.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Or... You can ride a bike (Since we are talking about human powered vehicles).

Honestly, this is just ridiculous. You would never survive a wreck in that thing. Has it even been properly crash tested? It isn't practical and the cost is outrageous.

I'll keep my '85 Camaro that I bought for $1200. It gets me where I want to go without me pulling a muscle, breaking a sweat, or needing three other passengers to help make it function.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Heh, here are the future steps to this car
2015 - car is released!
2015 - Car is loved!
2016 - Car is given "auto" option, less cranking
2016 - Auto versions are improved, battery life extended
2017 - Auto versions given small gas engine, no more crank
2018 - Car now strictly runs on Gasoline, given steering wheel
2019 - Car is now renamed " 2020 Honda Civic"

kriswitak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Seriously people need to learn to read the actual article before they comment stupid things.

"The modular chassis—covered by an optional all-weather shell top—promises future adaptability for future features and technology. The creators are also listening to crowd-sourced ideas such as paraplegic-compatibility and airbags are under consideration. On the drawing board for future models are electronics capabilities like "a human/machine interface touch-screen display with GPS and biometric data logging, iPod integrated sound systems, and Bluetooth-compatible onboard computing/communications devices". "

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Next up they'll have human powered motorcycles. Let's see, they can call it, a bicycle!
Seriously $15,500? You can buy a used car and many years worth of gas with that money.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I think most people would end up focusing more on getting the car moving than actually driving.

People already have a hard enough time focusing on the road, this is only going to make it worse.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
What happens when the car needs to take a sharp turn? Will the driver have to stop "rowing" and the other passengers have to pick up the slack? I'm willing to bet the average human could not turn the stick and push it back and forth at the same time, this will be a failure. BTW why was it not designed to use the passengers feet?

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
looks like an excellent college thesis but a terrible real world application. and the pricing is crazy. you want me to pay $15,000+ so i can pedal uphill? what the f**k?

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]garyshome[/nom]Is it street legal? How about a crash test or air bags? Where is the roof for driving in the rain?[/citation]

Driving in the rain? Where am I going to put my rack of Brontosaurus ribs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS