The Internet is Running Out of Space

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
My predictions for 2012 computer industry
1)The internet will implode
2)Bill Gates will reign supreme
3)Steve Jobs will cry about it
4)Your computer will burn to the ground
5)You will cry about it

I call bull**** about the 2012 computer thing and the implementation of Ipv6 gives isp's the opportunity to milk us more money for "Advanced Technology" when in fact they have no other choice.

G

Either myself or the author is seriously misinformed here. IPv6 should support WAY MORE than just a few trillion IP addresses. The correct figure should be 2^128, which is something like hundreds of trillions OF TRILLIONS OF TRILLIONS of addresses. I hope, as a layperson, I'm wrong because otherwise that would be seriously embarrassing for the author.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]NapoleonDK[/nom]I took the Cisco CCNA certification classes through my high school, and even our junky hand-me-down routers and switches supported IPv6... 4 years ago! I'm actually a bit surprised that IPv6 adoption is only at 6%.
(cut)
I can only speculate on why someone wouldn't want to adopt such a fascinatingly overcomplicated numerical system.[/citation]
i feel ya, i am about to finish my CCNA i am taking in HS. not only am i angry at the slow adoption rate, also that all of the course (cept 1 section) is based off of IPv4. which will be useless soon, least the basic concept is the same. but we have known about the depletion of public IPv4 addresses for a long time, the big corporations just don't profit, so they wont do it will they are forced.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]JayFranks1298[/nom] IPv6 should support WAY MORE than just a few trillion IP addresses. The correct figure should be 2^128, [/citation]
3.402e+38
or
note: i put 0's because that's where my calculator cut off.

G

who cares about this when our economy is sinking and people losing their jobs and don't find any... I would turn off the Internet as it destroying jobs

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The is a big reason people are not comfortable using IPv6. A large part of your address is your PC's MAC address, every connection is uniquely identifiable down to a specific PC. The internet currently is more or less anonymous because the closest you can trace someone's unique identifier (IP) is to their ISP, which most are resistance to handing over their lists. With IPv6 you can track down to the PC, even identify the NIC being used.

Also NAT is nearly impossible to do with IPv6, no in fact it ~is~ impossible to do with a pure IPv6 system. The engineers that designed the specs for IPv6 got all snotty and swore NAT should never be used without taking a look at the 2nd biggest reason to use it. NAT can hide an entire range of private IP's behind a single public IP. This makes your private network invisible to anyone outside of it and forces all external traffic through a security device that filters and translates the requests. This in effect makes every single NAT router a firewall device by default, and a very effective one at that. When you combine a state full packet inspection software with NAT you get a secure router / FW that is nearly impervious to hacking. The only way through is to find an open port (port mapping) and hope you can do a buffer overflow on whatever is on the other side of the port-mapping. But a hacker can't see whats on the other side, so its blind hacking at best.

I've built my own Linux based router by using CentOS 5 + Via Epia platform with 4x GB Ethernet interfaces. Using shorewall + snort and watching the logs I get hack attempts every 3 seconds or so. Usually by what appears to be someone sending packets to an entire range of known ISP IP's hoping a few reply and are hackable. My router discards these packets without even replying to them. This technique would be nearly impossible on a pure IPv6 system because my internet systems are exposed to the entire g'damn world. Their each uniquely addressable, and while the state full packet inspection would still be scanning, a hacker would be able to address packets to specific clients. More ever they could scan the packets coming from an ISP and map the location and nature of every single client attached to that ISP.

On this same note, ISP's could then charge you based on your "network device count" instead of a single charge. Since there is no way to hide your internal network layout from your ISP, they could easily say "hey looks like you got five devices there, that is $39.99 USD each". Five devices is router + XBOX 360 + PS3 + smartphone + PC.

IPv6 gives unprecedented control of the network to a network administrator, it alleviates the IP address congestion we're facing and for these reasons network engineers love it. But it pose's serious risk home users and corporations alike. It completely removes privacy from the internet. This is the reason everyone has been super slow to adopt it, its neither cost-effective nor a wise move unless you absolutely have to.

If they can ever add NAT and masquerading functions to IPv6 then you'd see a huge migration of ISP's and major networks over to it. IPv6 has been supported by nearly every network device for the past five years. Your $80 home router supports it now, and you can get its support on Windows XP and beyond.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]The Internet is Running Out Of IP addresses, not out of space...[/citation]
+999999

Also. The internet is not a big truck(and not something you just dump something on), it's a series of tubes!!! The internet is tubes!!!

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
however ISPs and other countries are dragging their feet.
Nope, I'm in Japan on the VERY small island of Okinawa sporting an IPv6 address. This island is only 65 miles long and I got fibre pulled to my house. How you like them apples?

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Please tell me the people talking about routers even know what IPv6 is? My 5 year old router has IPv6 option. 2 of my schools are already using IPv6 to the internet and IPv4 internal (easer to label). And if you do use IPv6 its easer to rout. And if your ISP is cheap and dont update their DNS you could just use a internet based one (openDNS). I just asked my ISP for a IPv6 address instead of IPv4.

Wow. I have worked on many different brands of household routers and all of them have IPv6 and IPv4 options. I have never encountered a business router to not have the option. (switches you might need to get a different firmware)

G

2012?! The mayans must have predicted this in their calender as well! How did they know the internet was going to run out?!

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I just hope my router will handle the new IPs through firmware updates i don't want to spend another $200

[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]What happened to IPv5?http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/b [...] _ipv5.html[/citation]

and cause another messy switchover?
I'll take the futureproof method instead.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
simple11 is right. This is old news. The IETF knew about this, so they created ipv6. Whether that's going to take off or not, I don't know. I'm pretty sure ISPs will be pressured to do that soon, but the whole NAT over ipv6 might yield privacy issues...

I heard that ipv4 over ipv6 is possible, so isn't it possible to have ipv4 private addresses on an ipv6 system?

Question much.

G

IPv6? I'm still waiting for the world to figure out there are better formats than MP3. Somehow that lives on.

G

Is this an Elitist PSYOP to have a reason to chang the net so these parasites can get their grubby sticky fingers around controling the net?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Nope, I'm in Japan on the VERY small island of Okinawa sporting an IPv6 address. This island is only 65 miles long and I got fibre pulled to my house. How you like them apples?[/citation]
I hate you.
I also prefer oranges.

I want fibre, and not just the kind in my cereal. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.