The iPhone 6 Camera Has a Big Problem: iOS 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Really feel bad for Apple. Why is this company so backwards, when for a time it was leading in hipsters look-good technology. Now it is an embarrassment.

Son-of Man

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014

Dude, I have the phone.

It's rock solid, much better built that something like the Note. See the Consumer Reports test which just came out: it does not bend easily. It's a non-issue, unless you are 700lbs, but if you are, then you have bigger issues.

The camera is the best of any phone I have had. Most other reviews say so, too. I see it so. Compared to the Xperia, the images are noticeably better balanced. Compared to the GS5, the 6+ has a much better dynamic range, and I mean much better: the S5 blows highlight on most contrasty shots, which is not fixable in PS.

True, the Camera app's processing may be a bit heavy at times, but nothing compared to something like the GS5, or Sony. I know, I've had one. I am not a "pro-photographer" but I am someone who hires pro-photographers, if this is worth anything :)

The fingerprint sensor is the best there is on a phone, hands down.

The design is a bit too Android like for my taste, not as good as the 4/5/5S IMO, but it's still OK.

The white balance issue is really not a real issue. Is the phone perfect? No. But compared to other phones on the market, right now it's the best.

As I said, it's disappointing to have such a lame review in Tom's Guide, although I understand that it's an opportunity to get clicks by being contrarian.

JennJoy521

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
Do you think it'll be an easy algorithm fix? I'm also having issues with inappropriate flash compensation.... Flash is WAYYY to bright and off in color.

Son-of Man

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014

It actually does. Check the camera settings and you'll find it (my phone is in the car :) I also use Camera+, which provides additional settings.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Apple leader in camera innovation?

You might find that Nokia (MS) is the leader the camera innovation, having image stabilization way before Apple's iPhone 6+, pureview technology etc

sixmemos

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
Agree with a few others who have pointed out: 1) This is not chromatic aberration -- it's lens flare. 2) The discussion of WB in the article was surprisingly unsophisticated and failed to mention how AWB algorithms are inherently challenging (and yes, sensitive to compositional changes, despite your implication that they aren't). This puzzles me for a site that is technically detail-oriented. It's very possible that the iOS8 AWB parameters ought to be tweaked -- but honestly, based on how the evidence was presented, I came away with the impression that the authors were pretty naive about photography (despite apparently, per the comments, having received input from at least one pro photographer).

ag2r

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
hello there,

I have a strong impact as a photographer in the social media, and I have to say that this iPhone 6 camera it's just disgusting. My photos are bluish or pinkish and the saturation, exposure and contrast are totally out of control most of the times.

I don´t know what is happening here, hopefully and lets pray it would be a software problem and it can be fixed asap.

Anyone know something about?thanks

sidmehta

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
This is so frustrating I am thinking of selling the 6+ and going back to 5 or 5S

In addition to your white balance concerns I have found:

- The contrast of the camera is too high - makes pictures looked contrast enhanced, NOT natural -- even when viewed on LCD monitors.
- The contrast of the display is also too high - my old pictures shot with my iPhone 5 that looked great now look "contrast enhanced" on the 6+. They look less natural and frankly, very boring. It's like a woman with too much make up. It doesn't work. You turn your face away.
- While they can change the camera software, at the same time they need to change the display's software to reduce the contrast. I'm not sure this is possible. Display software is probably in the display chip.
- There is problem with the yellows too. Lawn that has dried in patches comes up as an artificial yellow -- is this also a white balance issue?
- The 6+ image stabilizer works but not that well. Take a newspaper and shoot several shots of an article -- one will have sharper text. (Assuming your hand is not rock steady).

And it's not just the camera that has become worse.
- The amplifier circuit inside the phone that sends sound to the headphones is far worse. Terrible for music lovers. Music is key to Apple users.
- The design / style of the 6+ is so mediocre it doesn't even look like an Apple product, more like some Korean or Chinese design. How, with Jony Ive around? Sad.

Other than the Pay feature they have nothing innovative or creative in the 6+.
In summary the 6+ is a let down with some small improvements but several things made worse.

Suggestion: I think Apple needs to offer an optional recall to resolve the amplifier and "contrasty" display problems. When I pay $1319 I expect responsiveness and responsibility. Meanwhile Sean isn't there an app that can reduce the contrast and change the white balance while I shoot?

Who at Apple can I write to, because the more people they hear from the more likely Apple is to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.