The MacBook Pro M1 Max is an absolute beast — and a complete waste for gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2021
What exists now cannot be used to determine what will exist in the future... I have an M1 mini with 16gb/1tb... I use Parallels and almost every single game I own runs flawless... plus if I do anything other than game my mini beats the shit out of every single PC I have ever owned on that front, and it does it while sipping power even when hammered... and that is running Windows 11 through Parallels.
Getting an M1 Max, and comparing it against laptops that it can spank without missing a beat is kind of stupid considering you are only comparing GPU performance
Not to mention that the performance / watt cannot be matched by ANYTHING in the market. So if you want a $400 electric bill, sure, it's possible to beat the M1 Max but not with the state of CISC CPUs currently... not at the same performance/watt
There are more things than games in the world, and even gamers do those things. Some gamers even do video editing @ 8k for example. If you have the room for one system in your life, you are better off using an M1 Max with it's boosted editing performance and encoders built in rather than a gaming laptop from the PC realm that will perform like shit when editing 8k streams for your gaming videos. Otherwise, you need a mac AND a PC... one to game on, and one to edit on (in a reasonable amount of time)... make no mistake, 8k is the future, and it's better to be future proof to some degree rather than be constantly trying to catch up.

Oct 24, 2021
Your point is well taken but the fact that you need to run Windows on Mac to play the latest games pretty much says it all. That should not be the case.

Yeah it says that developers currently won't develop for MacOS due to market share. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I can still play games with better performance on my Mini than I did on my PC with a GPU... and I can do it with 1/8 the electrical consumption.

MrMLK

Commendable
Oct 24, 2021
Your point is well taken but the fact that you need to run Windows on Mac to play the latest games pretty much says it all. That should not be the case.

I agree. As a gamer, it isn't important to me how well the games run, or how much fun I have. The important thing is whether or not I have to run Parallels. Oh wait, it doesn't matter at all.

While it would be nice to have more native support, the fact that all my games all run fine under Parallels is actually what pretty much says it all.

Oct 24, 2021
While it would be nice to have more native support, the fact that all my games all run fine under Parallels is actually what pretty much says it all.

Ya the only downside is having to pay for Parallels. And I'm saying that objectively, not to be snarky. And some people don't want to have to do workarounds, which as a long-time Linux user I understand as well.

If parallels works great then I'm excited, because I just ordered the new 14" MacBook Pro. I upgraded to Windows 11 on my desktop and laptop and I'm not a fan. I'd rather run macOS (which I've used for 6 years at work so I already know what I'm getting into) and use Parallels when necessary. I don't mind the workaround.

MrMLK

Commendable
Oct 24, 2021
Ya the only downside is having to pay for Parallels. And I'm saying that objectively, not to be snarky. And some people don't want to have to do workarounds, which as a long-time Linux user I understand as well.

Sure, it would be better if you didn't have to pay the $80 for Parallels, but I don't think that that is the deal breaker that Mark and Tony make it out to be.

Oct 24, 2021
...Okay? It's not trying to replace gaming machines because no one buys a Mac for gaming, and Apple does not cater towards gamers. That's just their approach. Has been for a long time. Bizzare article.

Oct 25, 2021
Sure. if you want to play PC games, buy a gaming PC, most likely a desktop for best performance. If you want to use as a general purpose computer, or in particular editing video, a Mac will give you amazing performance and battery life in a laptop.

Oct 26, 2021
The is not the M1 Macs. they have stunning performance even for games. The problem is that none of the AAA titles are written for the M1 Mac. They are all INTEL x86 Mac ports that have to be emulated in Rosetta 2's translation layer That is the fault of the game publisher, not Apple.

Also, in performance per/watt, which is what matters in a laptop. The M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max destroy the INTEL and AMD chips.

Oct 26, 2021
Not necessarily. I agree that the M1 chips are great, but "what matters" is subjective. If someone's main focus is gaming, then going with more processing power (dedicated GPU) at the cost of power consumption is probably a better choice.

As I said these emulated game tests don’t tell us about the power of the GPU. By almost every indication they perform as well as the top PC mobile chips consuming fall less power. I doubt it will be long before Civilization 6 is brought over from iOS where it is already running native and we’ll see what the true power of the M1 Max is, and it will certainly be far higher than what these misleading tests show.

Status
Not open for further replies.