The Mercedes Luxury Machine Applefied by Brabus

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
You won't be going too far in this cruiser. 700+ HP, 900+ lb/ft of torque = 5-10mpg city... maybe 20 on the highway. How big could the gas tank be? This isn't a truck. 20 gallons maybe?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
One could simply put a Macbook/iPad or other laptop/tablet of choice in their car and put their iPod or other MP3 player in their pocket. This has the same effect and is a lot cheaper.

Btw, would this have made headlines if they had used a regular, similar specced Android/W7 tablet and a W7 nettop? I don't think so, even if the end result would have at least as useful.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Finally, a Mercedes in the $10,000US range; The price of course, should go up as the unnecessary additions are removed - but that's of course any new owner could deal with the smug taint that's left behind.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Fantastic car. I work on high-end cars like these for a living. Can any of you so-called hardware "experts" even comprehend what would be required to integrate a third party product (like an iPad) such that it can communicate with the Mercedes vehicle network and control various devices?

If you think this is a waste of money then I wonder what you think of all the abominations that various rappers, movie stars and professional athletes drive when they suddenly hit the big time and have money to burn.

This is not some hack your local car stereo installer does when he whips a new deck into your car and charges you $99.

Funny how people on Tom's hate Apple so much they can't even give recognition where it's due.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
The car is nice. It's a real shame what they did to it.

The article calls it ibusiness which is somewhat of an oxymoron.

Is this a joke? Maybe a demo of CS5? If that is the case..... Well done.

(I now start clapping slowly..... slowly increasing speed)

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]You won't be going too far in this cruiser. 700+ HP, 900+ lb/ft of torque = 5-10mpg city... maybe 20 on the highway. How big could the gas tank be? This isn't a truck. 20 gallons maybe?[/citation]

Just cause its 700hp doesnt mean the fuel mileage sucks. At 638 the Zr1 still get 20 mpg highway. FYI

G

@ericburnby You are correct. The extra wasted effort to modify a closed source OS like MAC OSX to tailor to a specific car electronic setup is quite a feat ... and quite useless. Building a completely top of the line Linux system for half the price and 3x the bells/whistles/and overall USEABILITY (lol ipad ... lol...???) would be more efficient and better in the end. The ease of modability on a linux system is so effortless, ive seen people spent under an hour and have the ENTIRE CAR completely hooked up using linux via a remote control and decent R/C remote-module. The point people are making is that 2 ipads and a mac mini is equivalent to sticking 2 itouchg3(with slightly bigger screens) and a crappy low end mac into an expensive beauty is quite disgusting. Imagine the crazy things that couldve been done using an OS that isnt gated down like a prison yard. I mean seriously, without jailbreaking you cant even write your own apps for the ipad unless its approved by godJobs ... there goes customization...

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
1000 Lb Ft of torque means you either have traction control, and It barely allows you to move in fear of losing traction, or you turn it off and turn your tires into dust and noise. And the Apple stuff is just a gimmick, just like all the other tech they trow into cars these days.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]You won't be going too far in this cruiser. 700+ HP, 900+ lb/ft of torque = 5-10mpg city... maybe 20 on the highway. How big could the gas tank be? This isn't a truck. 20 gallons maybe?[/citation]

20 mpg hwy with 700hp? Nah. More like 4.

A ferrari 430, which I'll ad has half the horsepower and way better aero, not to mention much lighter, managed about 0.9 mpg when raced around a typical race track.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is an insult to MB,I dont know what Brabus were thinking, btw what does mentioning that Steve Jobs`s favorite car is an SL65?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]ColdfireTrilogy[/nom]@ericburnby You are correct. The extra wasted effort to modify a closed source OS like MAC OSX to tailor to a specific car electronic setup is quite a feat ... and quite useless. Building a completely top of the line Linux system for half the price and 3x the bells/whistles/and overall USEABILITY (lol ipad ... lol...???) would be more efficient and better in the end. The ease of modability on a linux system is so effortless, ive seen people spent under an hour and have the ENTIRE CAR completely hooked up using linux via a remote control and decent R/C remote-module. The point people are making is that 2 ipads and a mac mini is equivalent to sticking 2 itouchg3(with slightly bigger screens) and a crappy low end mac into an expensive beauty is quite disgusting. Imagine the crazy things that couldve been done using an OS that isnt gated down like a prison yard. I mean seriously, without jailbreaking you cant even write your own apps for the ipad unless its approved by godJobs ... there goes customization...[/citation]
Complete BS.

I develop embedded microcontroller applications for the automotive market. I want to see this Linux box that someone integrated into a car in under 1 hour. Then I'll consider the years I spent learning the specifics of all the current automotive networking protocols and various mircocontroller platforms as time wasted time, and I'll start really cranking out products in record time using an OS that nobody outside of geekdom gives a rat's ass about.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Very nice car, but the Apple stuff Meh. Put a PC in there and lets see what this baby can do!

Just shows that ones who can buy that car probably only care about name dropping not value or fuction.

Status
Not open for further replies.