The New iPad Has a Really Massive Battery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
70% bigger battery, same rated battery life. I kind of wish they had a model with the new battery with the old specs, then we'd be into tablet batteries that last multiple days of heavy use.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Tehol[/nom]I love how a bunch of morons try to show their intellect . . .and completely fail in the process. This is why you shouldn't comment on the supposed errors of others when it really doesn't matter if they're wrong (i.e., a comment on the Internet . . .)You may just make a fool out of yourself in the process. Stop trying to stroke your ego.[/citation]

I don't know who you are talking to, but it does matter whether they are wrong or not. I feel it is important to not misinform people, and that it is even more critical to correct mistakes. It is important that people know that any watt hours measured are in fact the same. A little information is often worse than no information at all. I don't like the idea of people walking out with "new" information making a misinformed decision about higher voltage batteries being better. When in fact stored energy is the same. It is usually better to google what people are talking about and fine some credible sources before you "learn" anything but I imagine most people don't do that so I feel a need to ensure that any information that is doubtful has at least some dissenting voices prompting research.
Side tracking here, but why is there still no edit button on Tomsguide even though there is one on Tomshardware?

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Just curious... why don't they just continue to increase the size of the battery? How much bigger would it have to be to last 40 hours instead of 10?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]you dumbass, Wh is Watt HOURS. it has nothing to do with your stupid equation w=A*V.It is equal to power times HOURS. NOT amps and volts you retard. god, how do dumbasses like you survive life?[/citation]
Lol....I know everyone else has already enlightened you on the topic but I will let you know how I survive....

As an Electrical Engineer.

And ik242 had a good post, Power != charge

Power (watts)=A*V

Charge/Energy (joules)= Power (watts)*Time (hours)

Capacity is quantified in watt hours which comes out to a quantity of energy in joules

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]70% bigger battery, same rated battery life. I kind of wish they had a model with the new battery with the old specs, then we'd be into tablet batteries that last multiple days of heavy use.[/citation]

Current 10" tablets are already slightly too heavy. You can't comfortably hold an iPad2 with one hand for more than 10-15minutes.

An iPad2 will already last a full day of use without charging it. There is little benefit to even more battery life, if it makes the device heavier.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]...There is little benefit to even more battery life, if it makes the device heavier.[/citation]

No such thing as 'too much' battery life as you may find yourself in a situation where you can not easily recharge. i.e. Power outage after a storm or -in my case- a Hurricane.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Yeah I'm not really sure this is a good thing either.

Either they'll have to come up with yet another higher power charger, or the new iPad will take forever to charge for lasting the same duration.

Also this will make external extended batteries much less effective for extending the iPad's longevity than they have been in the past.

I'm thinking 1536×1152 (×1.5 instead of x2) would have made a lot more sense overall. Or better yet transition to 1280x800 widescreen like most tablets are. (Note I have a 1024x768 TouchPad, I'm not saying the resolution sucks, just that it's not conductive for raising it)

I don't think the iPad2 is too heavy though, it ( along with the Transformer Prime) feels extremely light in yours hands actually. I think if it got much lighter it would feel odd to hold. The 10" tablets aren't really meant to be held in one hand anyways. That's for the 7" size. The 10" size is really made for either two hands, or one hand resting it on your knee or something. You can't really grip a 10" in one hand, you have to more just set it on there and use gravity/friction to hold it.

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]you dumbass, Wh is Watt HOURS. it has nothing to do with your stupid equation w=A*V.It is equal to power times HOURS. NOT amps and volts you retard. god, how do dumbasses like you survive life?[/citation]

Good job making a fool out of yourself. JACKASS!

v3rlon

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
The only reason I care about any of this is the question about charging time. Does the new iPad weigh a whole 4 ounces more than the last one, or is it just 2? Nope, I do not care. Did they re-arrange internal parts that I can't even see? Nope, don't care.
So, unless the charging time is changed, why is this news?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Wow, 40 watt hours, my gaming laptop has a ~55 watt hour battery to make it last about an hour and a half. I'm sure the heavier battery in the ipad is very high end with very high energy densities and the increased weight might get buyers to think that the pad is tougher than the previous generation against drops even though it probably isn't.

The industry is begging for nanotechnology lithium ion batteries or whatever the evolution will take the form of.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011

LOL, love it when people who are blatantly ignorant, get owned. Epic!!

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
given a bigger(heavier?) battery and yet minimal weight change, wonder what else is different to compensate for the heavier battery.

personally, the higher rez is the only thing that pokes my interest, but not enough to make me buy this

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]So they made it lager to boost battery life yet taking the risk that this Lithium polymer battery just just puff up and catch fire isn't the best thing but for most just more battery life.[/citation]

Proper designs would keep the batteries from igniting. They rarely, as in almost never, light up if the manufacturer didn't do a screw up job.

Now if you mess up the components that charge/drain the battery or just make the product run really hot, then they will light up.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
To start, lets clarify:

Wh (watt-Hours) is a unit of energy. It is interchangeable with 'capacity' in this context - because a batteries 'capacity' is the total amount of energy it is capable of storing.

A 40 Wh battery means that the battery can power a 1-watt device for 40 hours. Alternatively, it can power a 40-watt device for 1 hour.

The Watt is a unit of power, and in the case of electrical power it is calculated by Volts x Amps. (Voltage x Current).

So, a device with a voltage of 2V, and a current of 0.5A, is 1-watt. A device with a voltage of 1V and a current of 1A is also 1-watt.

To derive the battery life, in hours, we first calculate the power, in watts. We divide the battery capacity (in Wh) by this number, to get the number of hours.

For example, if a device has a 40 Wh battery, runs at a voltage of 4V, and a current of 0.5A:

Power: 4 x 0.5 = 2W

Battery life = 40 / 2 = 20 hours.

Thus, going back to the original point being made which started this whole debate, it is possible for the same capacity of battery to deliver different battery life, depending on the wattage of the device it has to power (which is obvious). However, all 40 Wh batteries have the same capacity, regardless of the device they are attached to.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]No such thing as 'too much' battery life as you may find yourself in a situation where you can not easily recharge. i.e. Power outage after a storm or -in my case- a Hurricane.[/citation]
I agree that you can never have too much battery life, but increasing battery life usually means sacrificing performance or making the device heavier.
There are just too few situations where having even more battery life offers a significant advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.