The Pentagon Approves Android; iOS Still in Testing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
@wildkitten,

Your BSing everyone and trying to front.

The DoD's most commonly "server OS" by volume is Windows NT (Server 03 / 08). Once you trim out the commodity stuff (AD / DNS / Exchange / File Server) then Unix becomes the most common "server OS". Specifically Solaris, the DoD really likes Solaris.

Also DoD secure networks are independent of the internet and any form of cell phone network. There simply is no interface, no way of data crossing over. So even if you had this cellphone you wouldn't be accessing anything classified. That whole "through a proxy" is bullsh!t, there is no such proxy in existence nor will there ever be. The NSA is entirely too paranoid and cautious to allow such a connection, and their the ones who ultimately approve connection methods.

This is some bad journalism at work, probably by someone who isn't familiar with DoD networks in general.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Not with the government it doesn't.I have a friend who is a programmer with a well known company. He gave a demonstration and built a keylogger directly into a well known open source program's executable file. It only took a few minutes and nothing detected it.Sorry, but I still don't want my personal information ever sitting on open source software. The argument that "well open source means more people can find the vulnerabilities and fix it" just doesn't work for me. If that's true security, tell me why we don't make our best weapon systems common knowledge as far as how they work and how they are built? I mean there would be so many more people who could make that weapon system better right? And if the "bad guys" don't hack open source software, surely the "bad guys" won't use the knowledge the blueprints of the weapon systems.And I would really love to see some research to back up your claim that open source OS's that contain sensitive information is more secure than their closed source counterparts.[/citation]

telling people how to build a weapon system
telling people how an OS works

How are these two even relatable?

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The only reason why the DoD must have considered this OS approval is , IMO, it's highly customizable stuff. Everything in this Environment can be controlled and customized, thus, having it on a standalone does have a lot of advantages. The kernel can be optimized endlessly for any particular purpose and can be extremely beneficial to even the DoD/Medical Research/ Scientific Research & Development Labs and other enter pruners who are willing to take it on with their own software labs.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
@DjEazy, zybch, wildkitten and whomever else has questions and needs clarification regarding the mass of misinformation regarding mobile security issues in general. Goto The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) https://www.owasp.org, if you really want to know and not just trying to spam the forums with nonsense.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Not with the government it doesn't.I have a friend who is a programmer with a well known company. He gave a demonstration and built a keylogger directly into a well known open source program's executable file. It only took a few minutes and nothing detected it.Sorry, but I still don't want my personal information ever sitting on open source software. The argument that "well open source means more people can find the vulnerabilities and fix it" just doesn't work for me. If that's true security, tell me why we don't make our best weapon systems common knowledge as far as how they work and how they are built? I mean there would be so many more people who could make that weapon system better right? And if the "bad guys" don't hack open source software, surely the "bad guys" won't use the knowledge the blueprints of the weapon systems.And I would really love to see some research to back up your claim that open source OS's that contain sensitive information is more secure than their closed source counterparts.[/citation]
Dear lord, how many key-loggers exist for windows that also go undetected, millions? Also if you don't want your personal information sitting in an open source OS then it's best for you to disconnect from the Internet and return to the stone age because most of it's structure is built on open source OS's. There are tons of research that claim that quite a few open source software is more secure than their closed source counterparts. There are also studies that claim otherwise. But the fact remain that most servers out there use a *nix OS, being Linux the most common.

Rabscuttle

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]gregor[/nom]For starters, what open source about iOS?Secondly why does being open source make it automatically less secure?[/citation]

iOS is based on OS X which was based (in part) on BSD. All that being said, once a person has physical possesstion of an iOS device it is still pretty easy to crack the security (through the same methods used to jailbreak the device). Of course, Apple doesn't allow sideloading so that don't have the malware issue that Android is plagued with (and why does the DoD not think that is an issue again?)

Status
Not open for further replies.