The popular gaming/schooling laptop question

Dwizzy

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I'm looking for a computer that will perform well when I play and will do what I need it to do with school work. I'm fairly new with laptops (never owned one) although I use a Mac most of the time.

Price-$1200 and below ( I would like to stay below that if possible).
Screen- 17' and below.
Battery life- Trying for 4 hours.

I've been currently looking at the Alienware M14x, Asus G55, and the Asus G75. Like I said, I'm new so I'm not too sure what I should be looking for.

Solution
Everyone these days wants that "gaming" computer that they can take to school. Trust me a dedicated gaming laptop is not that fun when you have to pull it out in class to actually use.

IMO your options are to get a gaming laptop that weights 7+ lbs (which will suck for carrying around at school and be loud)

or spend 2,000+ for one of the very few portable gaming rigs out there... New razer blade, MSI GS70, gigabyte p35k, Asus UX51VZ

or buy a desktop for gaming and a real ultra book for stuff at school

WAD

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

it is ill check the spex brb

lightsong

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Everyone these days wants that "gaming" computer that they can take to school. Trust me a dedicated gaming laptop is not that fun when you have to pull it out in class to actually use.

IMO your options are to get a gaming laptop that weights 7+ lbs (which will suck for carrying around at school and be loud)

or spend 2,000+ for one of the very few portable gaming rigs out there... New razer blade, MSI GS70, gigabyte p35k, Asus UX51VZ

or buy a desktop for gaming and a real ultra book for stuff at school

Solution

Dwizzy

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

I understand this is a popular question, but keep in mind, I'm not a hardcore PC gamer so buying a seperate PC just for gaming doesn't make much sense for me. Anything good about the Lenovo y500 or y580? Both fairly cheap, lighter than the G55 yet maintain some really good things.