The REAL iPad Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

when apple took out the floppy disk in the Imac and the compact disk in the Mac Air everyone said how much of a dealbreaker lack of a feature. Apple pushes technology, in 5 years people wont be using CD/dvd's much. Nearly everything will be from the web.

zilnicra

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Mydrrin[/nom]when apple took out the floppy disk in the Imac and the compact disk in the Mac Air everyone said how much of a dealbreaker lack of a feature. Apple pushes technology, in 5 years people wont be using CD/dvd's much. Nearly everything will be from the web.[/citation]

in 5 years yes, but today, i want to be able to at least use a mini sd card to store data. im okay without the full size usb. but the problem with the device is the lack of functionality and the price. no camera, (there should be 2) no way to install ANY portable media, and too expensive. sometime before Christmas, they will probably drop the ipad S, which will fix some of the issues, and include an adapter to plug a mini sd card, an outward and foward facing camera, and hopefully a higher clocked cpu (1.2 would probably be enough). if a 3G version with the above mentioned improvements appears at 399.99 I would have to seriously consider purchasing one.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I agree with zilnicra Mydrrin. Ultimately, we won't have a need in the future for memory cards or USB sticks, because it'll all be saved online. But considering the current need for memory cards for cameras, cellphones, and a plethora of other devices, not including one and then forcing interested customers to buy a $30 kit is extremely harsh on customers.

Now if they offered some solution, like "take a picture on your iphone and upload it to our servers so you can see it on any Apple device like your iPad", then it would be OK.

Ckantack@yahoocom, you have an excellent point. While not everyone purchasing an iPad is a previous Apple customer, we believe that the vast majority are. Ultimately, we believe that most Americans are well acquainted with the iPhone operating system, because they've walked into an Apple store at some time or have a friend with an iPhone or iPod Touch, so we limited the descriptions because the iPad is nearly identical in this respect. We also don't believe that the average consumer will run over to buy an iPad without having previously tried one out, or having owned or used an iPod Touch/iPhone.

And jtt283, the first thing I thought about when I saw the Kindle was the data pads from Star Trek: TNG. But after using the iPad for a bit, I knew. Ender's Game.

greenprince

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Is anyone see why apple try to sell ipad on the market so quickly even is not a finish product? No cam no card reader no multitast no flash.
Because they want to make the desperate people money quickly and back to their pocket. Remember..apply got broke a year ago. they learn from it. it won't happen to them again. they know how to make marketing to attract the people to paid for their damage. They need the money back to recover the spending on develop the new device. Then they will have more money to develop the next version of ipad. Same old story if you look at iphone, ipod. they all very basic when the first or second generation came out. even i can say outdate compare with other brand. They won't put the perfect machine at once.
now you all understand why the ipad sell to the market so early.
And now you understand other brand make a similar thing so slow because they want to make a perfect machine in the market.

the_wolf88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
This is just a peace of garbage !!

I didn't think that Apple will release something garbage like this one !!

Ipod and Iphone were one of the best products in Apple history and now all the glory gone with this shit !

It is Just useless !!

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. Vote with your wallet. If other people are buying it, it probably fulfills some deep-seated need in their life. Whatever the case, unless you are walking in their shoes, living their lives and wearing their underwear, then there is no way what you feel or have to say should have any impact on them whatsoever.

Sure, there will be hundreds of articles telling the unwashed masses how wonderful new Gadget X is from Company Y. This has always been the case in this industry. And yes, there are many who are swayed by these so-called expert opinions. Don't be one of them. Buy what you need based on what works for you. Take advice and research, but in the end, don't buy something because it's popular or trendy, buy something because it satisfies a need you have.

For me, I have my iPhone, and it is more than enough for me at this point. I am honestly waiting for the 3rd generation, since that is usually the one where they finally get the mix of features and prices fairly well balanced. And yes, it would satisfy a deep-seated need I have. More often than not, I am stuck in a situation where my iPhone is not enough (too small screen, etc.) and my laptop is overkill. Sure, i could get a netbook, but in the end, it's just another laptop. Besides, I'm thoroughly addicted to books, but so turned off by the disfunctional single-use of most of the e-readers out there.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I know exactly what you mean Houndsteeth. Sometimes I'll be on my iPhone and I can't do certain things, like some websites don't work well/fast, or I can't watch videos, or I don't have an app that allows me to stay on the phone instead of going over to a laptop.

In many respects, the iPad is the same. It's not as lacking as the iPhone, of course, but it still has plenty to gain.

That said, I don't know that the 3rd gen is the best for Apple. With the iPod, their 2nd gen was excellent, and in my opinion it all went downhill from there (2nd gen was the complete touch-sensitive button version). The 2nd gen iPod Touch and iPhone were excellent (whereas the 3rd gen only improved on speed and few other qualities). So this year, maybe not. But next year? Seems like a certain buy, but two years from now is a long time to wait. Too long, perhaps.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Tomsguiderachel :
So what you're saying is, "It was never meant to BE a laptop replacement." That very well might be true--in fact, I'm sure its true from Apple's perspective. But what about a netbook replacement? The question here is about 2nd and 3rd computers--not primary computers. I'd love to see a formal study of what types and how many consumers own 2 computers already. I think the demographic Apple is aiming for is that demographic.
Apparently, I am the demographic that Apple is aiming at: technically literate with a fair amount of disposable income. I am currently working in Saudi Arabia (not oil, unfortunately). Over here, I have 4 desktop systems, a personal laptop, and a company laptop.

I just recently bought a Samsung netbook for traveling. I thought a lot about the features I needed. And all I need is web surfing, email, light office apps, and an ebook reader while traveling. Once it's set up, I don't even miss the optical drive.

OTOH, where Apple loses me: I do not like closed systems.

Mydrrin 04/07/2010 12:44 PM wrote:
when apple took out the floppy disk in the Imac and the compact disk in the Mac Air everyone said how much of a dealbreaker lack of a feature. Apple pushes technology, in 5 years people wont be using CD/dvd's much. Nearly everything will be from the web.
Well, I stopped putting floppy drives in my systems about 4 years ago. They simply are not big enough. I think opticals will be around for a long time.

And getting nearly everything from the web requires universal broadband. There are still plenty of areas in the world where people are lucky to have dialup. One of my friends here has a wife from a small village in Nigeria. The village owns one cellphone, so when she is home, she doubles their communications infrastructure.

G

I actually own an ipad, bought it on Monday, and I love it. It has its limitations, lack of USB the biggest one for me personally, but if you have and love an iphone or a touch you know what you are getting yourself into, and in my opinion at least you will be as satisfied as I am.

You need another computer in the house for it to have value, and you need to see it for what it is, an internet and media consumption device, but for those purposes it kicks ass. Sitting in front of the TV with my wife as she watchs inane Real Housewives nonsense is now a pleasure ... as I go through my email or surf the web. If you have comic book cbr files they look awesome via the ComicZeal app, worth buying on that basis alone. PDF Reader works great if you have magazines and books in that format. All of your podcasts, movies and pictures transfer immediately and look great, even get chapter breaks on the movies that I never saw on my touch.

If you are new to itunes and don't have a lot content on hand already, you very well may be disappointed and not have much to do other than surf, but it's better for that than any other device I have used. The lack of flash really isn't that big a deal when you use it, plenty to play with on the web without it.

On typing, I am a two finger typist and it works great for me. If you are a "real" typist you will need a real keyboard, but I can't believe anyone could have reasonably expected anything different.

The next version will be better, but I decided I wanted one now and I don't regret the choice. Felt it in the pit of my stomach when I laid the cash down, but after an hour playing with it I knew it was a good call for me, only feel better as I play with it more. Operative word is play. People should chill out and enjoy it for what it is, and that's a lot of goodness with limitations that should be expected.

Cheers James.

Good review.

I think the next iteration of the i-pad with the dual core ARM processor in it will be a better device all round, and by then the apps will have matured.

I can see that a number of peripheral manufacturers are likely to make a soft foam i-pad support bracket that covers the nasty edges and enables the device to be stood up (its slippery)like a photo stand ... supported ... or a dock for charging / use on an incline.

As the hardware and functionality are improved with the apps it is likely to become quite a useful device.

At present it is still a toy though.

The idea of the touch screen for typing isn't the best ... I see a wifi KB coming as a real option I guess.

A camera, phone, coffee cup holder would be good.

Cheers for the tight review you did for Tuan.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I read the review on Anand, and I think he summed it up perfectly - the iPad is just a luxury toy.

In my mind, for touch computing to really take off and be productive will require an industry change - far more than what Apple alone can do. Yet they maintain a closed system for their devices and snub other companies (HTC/Google/Adobe) that offer competition and innovation. Jobs may want to change the world, but in order to do that he's going to have to put his big ego aside, swallow some unpleasant stuff and share the stage with his rivals.

Rachel, for the iPad to replace a netbook it would have to excel at something called content-creation. You're forgetting that the iPad by design is a casual consumption device, not a replacement, and fails at many real-world tasks in which netbooks are far superior. A netbook offers an open OS with a working file system, SD slot, USB ports, webcam, faster processors, local storage, and most importantly, a physical keyboard with real, tangible feedback - features essential for any serious productivity work. Enterprise users in particular that rely on custom applications will be stopped dead in their tracks by the closed Apple platform. Did I mention the lack of user-replaceable parts? Finally, when you factor in the price of the iPad, separate keyboard, dock, case and price of the filler apps to pick up the pieces where Apple left off, you're spending more than what you would for a more capable netbook in the first place.

The trade-offs I would need to make just to get the big-screen touch experience are simply not worth it, as I can get far more things done in my 10-hour day with the netbook/smartphone combo I already own.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Luscious, allow me to present an argument for Apple's case. First, they can succeed with the iPad simply because they market their products excellently, better than any other technology company today. No one in the US today doesn't know what an iPad is; it's been in the news, commercials, TV, radio, online...everywhere.

Second, Apple's on a very hot running streak with excellent products. Their notebooks sell extremely well, especially to students. Schools are picking up iPad deals, and they may well replace many current school's first choice for that "thing to give new students".

Third, even if Apple's platform is closed to developers and restricts them heavily, they also offer the largest app store and media store online anywhere. Sure, the iPad can't compete with a Windows 7 tablet in terms of the sheer number of applications, but once again the iPad is oh so different from what we've seen of products like HP's Slate. And, suffice it to say, Apple released their product first. If they hadn't, they could have been on the opposite side of the fence on the tablet market.

Finally, yes they have left many blank areas in terms of their hardware, and yes they have proved their arrogance time and time again. And yet they still succeed. In a strange, unforeseen way, people like that about Apple. They like that Apple can say no to just about anything. Because to Apple, it's ultimately the end user experience that counts the most. Users don't really want to sit there and swap SD cards between devices or plug their iPads into every computer they and their friends own. It's a standalone device that is meant to do everything wirelessly, and taking that away by adding a built-in card reader will only sacrifice their true beliefs about the device.

Then again, they offer the media card inputs, because they are still in the business of making money. Which is also why the starter iPad is $500, not $300.

G

Multitasking has recently added, please add to this review, how does it work, is it real multitasking?. With this price I think a better processor / GPU should be inside, even a GPU as CGPU, but Apple do not use to make powerful machines.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mitcoes1604[/nom]Multitasking has recently added, please add to this review, how does it work, is it real multitasking?.[/citation]

Multitasking is available on the iPhone 4.0 SDK, and it only works on the iPhone right now. Once we can test it out on the iPad, we'll have something for you on it.

AtlantaTerry

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
The article says, "The iPad does not charge when connected to a PC via USB."

I understand this is due to the power drain during recharging.

All my USB devices connect to my self-built Windows XP PC via powered USB hubs. Doing so takes the power load off the motherboard thereby extending it's life.

Why didn't the reviewers plug the iPad into a powered USB hub? A fairly obvious solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.