The Saga Continues: Latest on the Carrier IQ Uproar

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Maybe my iphone 3G runninf iOS 4 is so slow is becuase of Carrier IQ ? the 3G is slow enough running iOS 4, but it seems to lock up and freeze like its being keylogged. If the Carried IQ program is non resposive, then the device freezes (stops responding to user requests). Anyways I don't need that thing slowing down my device, I need every percent of cpu usage free, as my device is slow as it is. Its like being kicked in hte nuts when your down.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This is indeed a terrifying situation. Imagine trusting one company with all your passwords, messages, email addresses, bank account passwords. This is precisely what the CIQ app does with your phone carrier.

No wonder we hear more and more of people secret videos, pictures, etc..., being released anonymously on the web. Essentially, when you entrust all this information you are at the mercy of the carrier's intentions, and surely a multitude of people working for the carrier have access to this information.

Surely, much dangerous information has been transmitted via smartphones by government and defense officials unaware that the information may have been logged by the carrier, in essence giving the carrier access to the secret information and backdoor access.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Talk about putting company insider information at the finger tips of the carrier. Just imagine merger and acquisitions and the explosive stock action that follow. Much of this stuff is accessible by carriers that use CIQ in their smart devices. Man this is really really sick.

bb33

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I have checked 5 phones since yesterday one tmo one sprint two verizon and one att and all of them had CIQ on them. these are all various brands as well htc samsung apple (att) moto. my phone as well as my wifes are clean however both android rooted with custom roms.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i feel sorry for SMARTPHONES, with great popularity comes great malware infection.[/citation]
Fixed it for ya...

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Where is Zonealarm for Android? OTH, MS created Security Essentials to cover their butts. I would bet that Google is going to step up to the plate with their own watchdog software.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Loving my BlackBerry on Verizon...lol RIM wouldn't be able to get all the security awards and certifications if it ran crap software like that. On Thursday, Carrier IQ released a public statement explaining that carriers only use its software to diagnose operational problems on networks and mobile devices.Um I saw the video posted on youtube and every keypress was filtered through the CIQ app.[/citation]

While the app does receive all actions, it does NOT mean it also sends them. It's like a policeman reading all passing license plates, but not reacting to them. Although a different policeman could read every license plate over the air, so could a possible update (or command) to the app.
So the current app does not seem to break privacy except for the https URLs.
But the youtube video shows only actions sent to the app (which is still on the phone) and not what it sent to a server (over the network). That can be done only by testing over wifi with a router capable of displaying all traffic (and of course reverse-engineering the traffic).

There is a difference between "what can do" and "what does". I don't deny the need for investigation, but the reporting was too "shocking", and I'm afraid it was the only way for the newswriters to be hooked. And now there is a wrong image of the problem (it was not proven what it does).

Note: I'm using CM7, so I did have and did not test the CarrierIQ SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.