The wifi on my laptop has been faulty for about a month. How can I fix it?

Pie_ExMachina

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015
So around a month ago the wifi on my laptop was fully functional, then it stopped working properly after a windows 10 update was installed. In college my laptop won't detect wifi in most parts and when it does it never gets more than 3 bars of signal, however my phone will find the full signal in most places and all of my classmates have good wifi connection everywhere. It's so bad that I can get wifi on the first floor of the library but on the second floor it won't find the network. In my house I would get full signal in most parts of my house but now I only get 2 bars. Any suggestion as to what may be the problem and how I could fix it? Any help is appreciated.

If it's any help this is my laptop: https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-G-15-6-Laptop-A8/dp/B00LJXXLDK

Solution
Before you start this... are you sure it is properly detected, look in the device manager. Also, is there a physical on/off switch for it? Did you look in the BIOS to see if it is still enabled?

Goto HP support and look for newish windows 10 drivers for the whole system (including BIOS), download and install them

Does it work?

if not, also try going into the device manager and uninstall the WiFi card (do not remove drivers this time around), re boot and let Windows discover and load it...

Does it work.

if not do the same except let it uninstall it and repeat.

corroded

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Before you start this... are you sure it is properly detected, look in the device manager. Also, is there a physical on/off switch for it? Did you look in the BIOS to see if it is still enabled?

Goto HP support and look for newish windows 10 drivers for the whole system (including BIOS), download and install them

Does it work?

if not, also try going into the device manager and uninstall the WiFi card (do not remove drivers this time around), re boot and let Windows discover and load it...

Does it work.

if not do the same except let it uninstall it and repeat.

Solution

Pie_ExMachina

Estimable
Oct 13, 2015

Besides the f12 key I don't see any other way of turning the wifi on and off. I'll try your suggestions hopefully it fixes it.