The Wristwatch for the James Bond Wannabe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
LOL @ $200 for a watch being expensive. Nice watches are the one thing I do tend to spend a lot of $$ on... just my thing (besides PC hardware of course). My cheapest watches are Invicta's that started around $200. And my prize watch is a $2k Tag Hauer that barely see's the light of day. The nice thing is that they all look a TON better then that pile of crap.

G

Ok its a fugly watch, but storm have made the navigator before. I remember seeing it for sale 5+ years back or more. when i seen this article... i thought WTF.... this watch came out years ago, so much for cutting edge tech! big fat FAIL Tom's!!

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Yeah I think these particular watches have been around nearly ten years.

But then Tom's didnt actually mention they were new. Just pointing them out. Maybe someone in the office bought one?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You all do know that James Bond isn't real, right?And the only reason Omega watches appear in the movies is because they dropped a huge wad of cash on the studio for product placement, just like all the Sony laptops. Product placement has spoilt the last few movies, back to basics please...[/citation]
IIRC, the reason Bond wears an Omega in the movies was because the director for the 1st real Bond movie has an Omega on his wrist and Connery needs a watch for a scene.

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
This watch isn't too bad and anyone familiar with Storm designs will know that this kind of design is pretty standard stuff. The internals aren't very well put together though on this watch. They contain Japanese components with each module (besides compass) needing its own battery from what I remember so it costs more to maintain. Other than that, the case and bracelet construction is entirely stainless steel so if you like the look of it, and some people do, then the price is reasonable. Honestly, I quite like interesting watch designs. It's just that this one has complicated to replace innards so it's a pain in the arse to repair.

This watch has been around longer than James Bond too.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]MitchMeister-[/nom]LOL @ $200 for a watch being expensive. Nice watches are the one thing I do tend to spend a lot of $$ on... just my thing (besides PC hardware of course). My cheapest watches are Invicta's that started around $200. And my prize watch is a $2k Tag Hauer that barely see's the light of day.[/citation]
The problem with being a condescending queen is that there's always someone nearby to call you on it. Just, for sake of example, why would your "nice" watch "barely see the light of day?". I'm not familiar with Tag Hauer, perhaps you meant "Tag Heuer" - I assume you mean that watchmaker who uses the venerable Tiger Woods as its spokesman and makes casual sport watches. Clearly for that price it isn't gold... Vermeil perhaps? Stainless?
I know I prefer my solid 18K Cartier - which I wear exclusively - that I got in Paris when I was 20.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I'd like having a compass and temperature gauge on a watch, but I sure don't need to read the time twice on a single watch...

Status
Not open for further replies.