Therapists Treating Addicts in WoW

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Entertaining. =D

I personally say WoW is more addicting then coaince. (Specially great private servers.)

It took me a few tries to quit... (went cold turkey one day, though came back a few months later. Then I quit again, and then got addicted to private servers. Eventually I just decided *fuck this* and stopped playing).
Granted, I have the type of personallity that becomes easily addicted to any MMORPG. =D

Atleast they're offering help, in any way possible.

klor

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Believe me diablo2 and wow are far more worse addictions than crack, smoke, weed or sekz.

"I will quit next Monday" or
"Let's raid some more until the end of summer and then quit" or
"I'll level this alt then I'll quit" or
"I'll give away my gold and items to friends and then I'll quit in 2 hours"

lies...!

This is how I finally managed it: Just logged out at the moment of decision. Then deleted all files from my hard drive. And then the most important part is remove vent or ts from your computer and break your microphone. If you accidentally talk with a friend or guildie then you'll fail.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
lol reminds me of the southpark episode

Randy Marsh: Stan! Stan!
Stan Marsh: Hang on guys, my dad wants something.
Randy Marsh: Stan!
Stan Marsh: What?
Stan Marsh: You've been on your computer all weekend. Shouldn't you go out and socialize with your friends?
Stan Marsh: I am socializing r-tard! I'm logged on to an MMORPG, with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using teamspeak.
[pause]
Randy Marsh: [hurt] I'm not an r-tard.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
"Graham approached Blizzard Entertainment to waive or discount the costs associated with joining the subscription-based game"

How much does WoW POSSIBLY cost, $20 a month? I know what therapists and especially psychiatrists charge for a 40-minute session. They can spring for their own $20 account if they intend to mine WoW for new clients... geez.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]p00dl3_h3r0[/nom]+1. But I do think that you need to first find them. Blizzard should give public awards for people who play too much, which would allow the "psych-squad guild" public knowledge of the true addicts. What better way to find the crack addicts in need than following around the dealer? It would practically become a new game just to avoid them![/citation]

Blizzard already does this, its called the achievement system :D

Just look for the server first achievements, pretty safe to say those are good candidates for therapy lol.

Also I don't think the good doctor understands how much WoW actually costs. Maybe he thinks he needs a subscription for each server he's on or something? If he can't afford $15 a month, then he must not be very good at his job.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
We need that guy from the WOW Southpark Eposide to hunt the shrinks down in the no kill areas and take them out, I couldn't stop laughing.

computermania

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I actually think there is something to this idea. I play WOW and it is a very addicting game. I was just thinking this morning about how I need to quit and that it is ruining my life. I go to work tired every day because I stay up late playing. I've been telling myself I will quit when I hit level 80 (am now level 78) but I think I will just stop cold turkey right now. As for the therapy I too could see the therapists getting addicted if they are not careful. In order to connect with other players they are going to actually have to play otherwise no one is going to listen to some level 1 toon. Everyone will think it is someone trying to sell gold or something and put them on ignore. However, I think it could work. I am a Social Worker in real life and work with Hospice. There was a friend of mine on and she said her Sister was dying. I was able to give her some counseling myself right there online and I think it did help her.

hyper60

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Well at least if you get mad at the therapist in the game you can hack him to pieces. And so more good therapy without real life consequences

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
I used to be addicted to WoW. The only thing that was able to get me off of it was being too much of a cheapskate to keep paying for it. When your subscription runs out its pretty easy to stay off the juice. Unless you play private servers... in which case you're just SOL.

KupuAnd1

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
So what happen if the guy get sick of this therapist and kill him in the game!?
That would be a funny video to watch in youtube.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I can't even conceive how people get addicted to these MMO's. I literally had to force myself through most trials of MMO's, which usually consist of long,repetitive,uninteresting grinds. It's like playing Diablo II but everything deals half the damage and has 5x the health. It's just so slow and drawn out.(The one thing that makes a grindy Diablo II interesting, is the fast pace.) Not only that, after about two hours of gaming I'm pretty spent.

mrkenan

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
ummm, isn't the point of this "therapy" to get addicted players out of the game? Now they won't even have leave their computer to see a shrink. I think I might start a grocery delivery/feeding service for addicted WoW players so they won't have to ever leave their chair! OH! and I'll put buckets under their chairs and cut holes in their seats so they can poop without gettin up!

I love WoW, i have a lvl 80, but it took me 2 years to get it there.
Its called MODERATION people!

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
We need to reign in these proliferating associations that being made to addiction. Now one can be addicted to sex, food, feelings, games, &c. An addiction is merely habituation to a favored thing or activity, but today it conjures up wild fantasies of demonic possession and the descent to bestiality. It is, simply, moral disapprobation under the guise of modern objectivity and medicine.

Video games provide a space, where people can experience a feeling of power and exercise their intentional faculties. We should ask the question why these "addicts" don't find these things in their real lives, employments, relationships, &c. Focusing on the "evil" games, obscures a more comprehensive understand of the phenomena we call addiction. As a result, the addict is alienated and often internalizes the negative judgments associated with his behavior.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Oh man! Imagine one of the "therapists" started playing WoW and he himself became Addicted??? Kettle, meet Pot, he's calling you black...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@Philologos

I disagree... on most of what you say, which, is confusing and convoluted in the way you try to get your point across.

"It is, simply, moral disapprobation under the guise of modern objectivity and medicine."
-Here's a good example. What the fuck? This isn't moral disapproval, this is recognition of excessive psychological dependence, which is destroying lives.

You don't make sense. Try again.

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Not only do people get addicted to WoW, but it teaches them anti-social habbits. A few of my friends were WoW addicts and now have absolutely no patiences for the less intelligent. I spent two months busting my backside to get to 80 so I could start doing raids and stuff with them. But they magically expected me to know every square inch of a dungeon or raid, even though they knew I had never done any of which before. That was the end of my WoW experience and relationship with them guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.