Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut or Kryonaut on MSI laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hidgerknight

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
So I would like to get lower Temps on my laptop currently I have a fan profile set to put both fans at 100% max and my Temps right now are 88C on my GTX 980 Desktop Laptop GPU and 80 on my i7 6820HK CPU, so I heard about conductonaut and saw that it took people's Temps down 15 - 20c with it so was wondering if it would be safe to do to my laptop with the black electrical tape on the bare parts of the CPU and GPU to prevent any little bit coming into contact with them and frying it. I heard someone talk about what if the computer is sideways and gets jostled about etc could some come out and go onto the motherboard.

Or should I just go with kryonaut since it isn't electrically conductive. Currently I have on there Noctua NT-H1

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
The main reason why Liquid metal lowers temps up to 15c is because the thermal paste is replaced inside the IHS. Since laptop CPUs do not have a IHS you still apply it directly to the CPU, but the temps won't be as low as you are reading about. You can probably get it down 5c if you are willing to take apart the whole laptop. Personally just some good thermal paste will go a long way, but you are not going to see a 20c drop no matter what you do.

Hidgerknight

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I didn't think I would see even a 10C drop but I figured I would get peoples opinion on which to put on there, a guy with alienware laptop got a 8C drop from using kryonaut.

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Have you ever taking a laptop apart? All the ones I have, do not go back together nicely since most use plastic clips instead of screws for the shell. Still a bunch of screws but now you have clips to deal with.

Hidgerknight

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Yes, I have 13 laptops in a box in my room I have taken apart over the years many a time, all I need to do is take the bottom cover off my laptop and the GPU and CPU are right there, I've done it before and applied new thermal paste to it previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.