These Are the World's Most Hackable Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Get a manual car. Even if that manual is a "smart" car. Urban legends say that at least once thieves gave up stealing a car because it had a stick shift. And also, get a car with a regular hand brake, just in case ...

ickibar1234

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
It may be helpful to have an manual transmissioned car, but if it's hacked, it equally easy to stop from accelerating. Put it neutral.
Electronic ebrake is something that could be controlled by hackers, depends on if it's networked or just controlled by a physical switch.

I think some research has been done on hacking the Prius and also worries about security in the Model S. Curious about the Chevy Volt.

ickibar1234

Estimable
Jul 26, 2014
Electric power steering, collision avoidance technologies could cause crashes if hacked.
All cars are drive by wire these days so hacking the butterfly valve solenoid could also cause a crash if the driver doesn't put it in neutral or press the brake.
All cars have manual braking controls even in fully electric cars, it's not fully by wire, yet.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Critical systems should always use it's own private network that is not physically connected to any other network in the car. Only way to provide system updates is physically plug in either USB or wired network cable into it. Other systems like radio would be a minor annoyance.

cmi86

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
What is wrong with the world... just buy an effing car and leave the pc on your desk. No reason a car needs to be so over engineered and prone to failure/manipulation.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I'm curious where the Tesla Model S lands on the list (if it was included in the study) given it's inclusion of 3G data and the ability for Tesla to push over-the-air updates to the car's software package.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i bet you that they can't hack my 1991 Mercedes 300D....why would someone need wifi in a car??? and why is the GPS on the same network??? The government is trying to control everything...just like how they are making every car manufacturer to build electric cars...one way or another the government is responsible for all the good and bad things that happen

Status
Not open for further replies.