Think I may have a virus?

tom.wag10

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
Okay it's late at night and I'm tired so sorry if none of this makes sense.

Okay so I have my own built PC that I use for gaming and have never really had a virus or malware scare up until this past week. I use i7 and recently upgraded to that, i'm talking maybe 2 or 3 months ago.

So basically a few days ago ALL of my PC games were crashing. It was either my whole PC Crashing or just the games themselves. I searched around online and seen one of my errors display that I was missing a .dll file. I then downloaded dll update from the Official Windows site and it told me all my drivers were up to date.
I then turned my PC off, and by the next day, my pc updated and all my direct X's updated by themselves the same day and all of the games have been working fine, so was it malware or a virus that made me lose .DLL files in the first place? Even now they are working fine. However my PC fans are now MEGA loud. I'm talking my PC sounds just like a chainsaw and they were never like that before?
I also now have a really slow boot up and sometimes just one of my monitors connects and I have to restart my PC in order for the second monitor to boot up. I'd say around the first 6 minutes of my boot up are now very slow.

I've cleaned my PC with canned air and I've used Windows Defender Security on windows 10 to find viruses, it's found nothing and I used the /scannow aswell on Command Prompt. Am I being paranoid or is my PC a victim of malware or a virus? Please somebody get back to me with a fix?

I keep thinking maybe my fan is just messed up because surely if I had a virus or malware I would definitely know about it by now? please someone help me!! thankyou

Solution
Hardware problems, generally, shouldn't cause such prolonged boot times, no matter the cooling. HDD/SSD or bios issue could be an indication. But as people mentioned, Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner to remove potential malware and then disable Windows Fast Startup.

Just for testing, try booting into Windows "Safe mode" how long it takes you to get there?
Defender is a step above useless. I have remove a smany as 1200 infections from Pcs using Windows Defender / Essentials.

Download a 30 day free trial of Kaspersky Internet Suit or BitDefender Internet Suite. Run , them, see what they find if anything.

More likely tho its a borked driver because Windows Update is installing drivers over those provided by your component manufacturers.

mdd1963

Distinguished
6 minutes of bootup time?

you can examine carefully all your tasks scheduled for startup via task manager/startup, disabling everything you do not truly need on startup...

I'd also have a look at downloading/running GsmartCOntrol and running a 2 min test on your hard drive.

Once all bootup is complete, what is your cpu utilization in task manager/processes, and, are there any processes near the top consuming large amounts (50-70%, etc.)of cpu resources?

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Hardware problems, generally, shouldn't cause such prolonged boot times, no matter the cooling. HDD/SSD or bios issue could be an indication. But as people mentioned, Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner to remove potential malware and then disable Windows Fast Startup.

Just for testing, try booting into Windows "Safe mode" how long it takes you to get there?

Solution