Thinking about a Netbook.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eturnal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hey all.

I was thinking about replacing my 15.6" Acer Aspire for a smaller netbook for programming and going back to college. I do a lot of my work in bed and the current laptop burns the hell out of my legs. It's also heavy.

For my new machine, the only applications I plan on using are Visual Studio for web development, Photoshop for light image editing, and Microsoft Office (or Open Office). Ideally, I'd like a small laptop with a near full size keyboard, enough RAM and a fast enough processor to handle my needs, a battery that'll last me several hours of coding or image editing, and at least 1366x768 resolution.

About two years ago I bought my wife an 11.6" HP dm1z or something like that. She loves it. I like it... I just want something better than that.

Any suggestions on brands or models?

Solution
I've been using Windows 8 with no trouble for multi-tasking. It simply doesn't do it great when it comes to the Metro apps, but I never use those and I don't think that you would either ;) They kinda seem mostly irrelevant. If you must have Windows 7, then I'm sure that I can find something, but I'd actually recommend 8 over 7. There are some things that get significant performance boosts (such as web browsing according to Tom's tests) and the lower resource usage is a nice touch. If you want familiarity, then you can install Classic Shell and tweak the UI a little (it's a free program that can make Windows 8 look like 7 and much, much, much more with it's many settings).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215973...
Status
Not open for further replies.