Thinkpad laptop blank?

Dedigscomputers

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
I have a laptop thinkpad that I believe I need to reinstall an operating system. I can get to the BIOS. I have a disk from old cell computer that says operating system back up? Or will I need to buy the program. I'm a novice at "fixing" computers for my family so this is a bit above me for having to work in the BIOS menus. When I put the disk in it looks like it might run the disk but in the end gives me error can not find... Any help would be nice

Solution
Not sure of what the back up disc is, but it sounds like a repair/recovery disc. If that's the case, you won't be able to install a fresh/clean copy of Windows with it. You'll either need to purchase a compatible version of Windows, or you can download and install a version of Linux for free, if you/your family wants to try it out.

If your disc is, in fact, a full install disc, you need to configure the boot options in BIOS, so that the computer's CD/DVD drive is at the top of the list.

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
You will most probably require a new Windows 7/8/10 install disc with a valid license. Usually restore discs from other systems will not be compatible with others, unless it is whats known as an OEM disc, then it will still require a valid license to activate after installing the OS.

Not sure of what the back up disc is, but it sounds like a repair/recovery disc. If that's the case, you won't be able to install a fresh/clean copy of Windows with it. You'll either need to purchase a compatible version of Windows, or you can download and install a version of Linux for free, if you/your family wants to try it out.

If your disc is, in fact, a full install disc, you need to configure the boot options in BIOS, so that the computer's CD/DVD drive is at the top of the list.

Solution