ThinkPad x201S display issue 1440x900

pumpkinpatch

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Hi guys! Im new to the forum. Found it while researching a display issue that i need more information on. I have limited experience with laptop displays and would like to get some other opinions about what the problem might be. Ive also replaced the LCD but someone told me that might not be the issue.

The ThinkPad in question is an x201s that worked perfectly before I loaned to my parents for about a year to plug into a external monitor. The laptop set next to a dell 19" external monitor maybe 8"-12" away from the laptop itself. (possible magnet issue?)

The laptop works fine otherwise, no hard drive issue.

The screen displays funny color shading. The mouse disappears when you enter the bottom left 1/8 of the screen. I've attached pictures using IMGUR free/junk free image uploading service.

Additionally, now that I'm typing this, the mouse is now view able all over the screen. Previously, it would disappear when entering the lower portion. Now the bottom 1/8 section kind of flickers with a light spot in the middle. See attached pictures.

Any idea what could cause this, or how to repair it? This is still a fairly desirable laptop, and I would hate to lose it. Ive been looking at the new x260's but for some reason, I have a hard time parting with my x201s. Parts are hard to find for this laptop too :(

Thanks in advance for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

The link for the pictures: http://imgur.com/gallery/Xkp5H

The last picture is the improved view of the screen after about 20 minutes of being turned on.

Solution
Well you could try checking the drivers. Updating them may help. If that doesn't you can check the ribbon cable that connects the display to see if it is damaged, bent, loose, etc.

If neither of those help, try turning off the laptop, connect an external monitor, turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. Is the problem also on the external monitor or not? If yes, then your graphics card may be starting to have issues. If there are no problems viewing it on the external monitor, then the display itself may be going and need replacing.
Well you could try checking the drivers. Updating them may help. If that doesn't you can check the ribbon cable that connects the display to see if it is damaged, bent, loose, etc.

If neither of those help, try turning off the laptop, connect an external monitor, turn on the external monitor and then turn on the laptop. Is the problem also on the external monitor or not? If yes, then your graphics card may be starting to have issues. If there are no problems viewing it on the external monitor, then the display itself may be going and need replacing.

Solution