News This $25 gadget turns all of your old IR remote-controlled devices smart

Dec 28, 2023
There are many devices around the home this will NOT work for. Just a few inclide many ceiling fans and motorized blinds - typically these use RF signls to control them. This only works when the device uses infared signals. Yes that is stated but the article makes it seem like everything with a remote is IR controlled. Its not.

hawndude

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2014
There are many devices around the home this will NOT work for. Just a few inclide many ceiling fans and motorized blinds - typically these use RF signls to control them. This only works when the device uses infared signals. Yes that is stated but the article makes it seem like everything with a remote is IR controlled. Its not.
I don’t think the article made it seem that way at all. The author clearly used the term “IR blaster” which directly implies that the device is compatible with IR remotes; not RF. The device isn’t capable of cooking you dinner or feeding your cat either. Should the author have mentioned that?

Dec 28, 2023
Its a good point-I was about to buy one and looking for an Amazon link in the comments- but after reading your warning I realised it would not work for me. Is there another one available for RF devices? I have remote control mains plugs that use RF instead of IR, I could throw them all out and but smart switches but a device like this would be much cheaper. Perhaps it is impossible however?

Looking on amazon I saw this device “IR/RF” device for $45:

https://www.amazon.com/BroadLink-Automation-Controller-RM4-pro/dp/B086VBXSDH?th=1

But setting up devices looks quite complicated. Amazon warns “Frequently returned item”. The 2.4Gz restriction is a bit lame, I personally only enable 5Gz in my home to keep connections as fast as possible.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023
Its a good point-I was about to buy one and looking for an Amazon link in the comments- but after reading your warning I realised it would not work for me. Is there another one available for RF devices? I have remote control mains plugs that use RF instead of IR, I could throw them all out and but smart switches but a device like this would be much cheaper. Perhaps it is impossible however?

Looking on amazon I saw this device “IR/RF” device for $45:

https://www.amazon.com/BroadLink-Automation-Controller-RM4-pro/dp/B086VBXSDH?th=1

But setting up devices looks quite complicated. Amazon warns “Frequently returned item”. The 2.4Gz restriction is a bit lame, I personally only enable 5Gz in my home to keep connections as fast as possible.
The RM 4 Pro does IR & RF, though will only work on 2.4GHz WiFi (as does a lot of SmartHome tech for the extended range vs 5GHz).
However depending on where you get your devices, you wish to control, from you are better ordering it from Aliexpress. The broadlink store there offers devices that work in both 433MHz and 315MHz. Just ensure you check descriptions to make sure you get one that covers both, as you can find both types. The ones on Amazon only cover the former. If not too worried about it being specifically BroadLink store, shop around as some come with just a Micro USB Cable to charge, but others come as a bundle with the temperature/humidity sensor USB charging cable too at similar prices.
Also the way Aliexpress runs ensure it's the RM4 Pro selected, not the RM Mini in the catalogue options, so while you might see price at ~$9 or equivalent that's the Mini, and until you go to item selection you won't get actual price ~$35 or equivalent.

Last edited:
Reactions: willyhoops
Dec 29, 2023
The RM4 Pro does IR and RF. The Amazon one only does 433MHz but Aliexpress has ones that also cover the 315MHz range too. Depending on your RF device that may be better.

Dec 29, 2023
I've tried a number of these ir devices over the years and have yet to see one that just works how you might want it to.

The simple function to create custom commands by pointing your remote at the device has never been implemented in a single ir blaster I've seen.

The last one I tried promised smart home integration and had wifi built in... But the software packaged with it was so outdated that it didn't even have many models of TV to control, and of course, despite having an ir receiver on the device, could not learn new commands.
I would love to see a polished version someday, but honestly these things are obsolete nowadays.
The scope of infrared remotes is just highly limited these days, with more and more things controlled using RF or just wifi.