This Japanese Vending Machine Dishes Out Free Wi-Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]there is no such thing as free....somehow down the line customers pay for it[/citation]

in Japan the Internet is already very cheap. 100 megabit up speed and 100 megabit down the speed that are usually under $30, I believe one places even at $20 or under, and the kind of Internet that's common in America, $9 or less. Sometimes units just given away for free at some apartment complexes just as a living there bonus.

then again if you ever seen with the Japanese Internet looks like, you wonder why they even have a need for anything more than dial-up. Seriously the majority of webpages look like someone just learned HTML and made a webpage for the first time, and a lot of those are professional webpages.

G

I'm sure if they tried to do this here, the environmentalists would complain.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Zackinsd[/nom]I'm sure if they tried to do this here, the environmentalists would complain.[/citation]
you got it wrong...it's the FCC

G

Free wifi- everybody goes nuts and giggly like it is some rare albino panda.

It is hard to understand all the fuss about free wifi as I live in Estonia. They dont ask money for wifi in public areas in here. It is pointless to set up a paid network in same area where there already are 6 free signals covering that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.