This Jet Promises to Fly You From NYC to London in 11 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good design, but yeah there are many issues. First off, it's super super expensive to make an aircraft that's space capable. and 2nd, scramjets are still in the making. While they are super simple, it's a sham they can't get you airborune from takeoff (since there are no moving parts).

I wonder how the air force is doing with the X51.

Eric Mears

Estimable
Jan 30, 2016
11 minutes traveling 3500 miles requires about 3G of positive then negative acceleration - a 200 Lb passenger pressed then pulled from his seat with 600 lb plus gravity - not good for champagne and caviar!

Northern whisky

Estimable
Jan 30, 2016
Right now the only thing Bombarier has to do lift up shareholder value, which is a greater priority than flying between London and New York in 11 minutes ! I love this idea, but to start, lets Bombardier sell some C90 planes to pay their rent and employee a few more engineers , so the company can become a more profitable company.

Claude_Nic

Estimable
Jan 31, 2016
Mach 24 is orbital speed on an orbital arc from NYC to London. Heating on ascent not too much of a problem, much more for the re-entry portion of the flight. The Space Shuttle did it 135 times, first time in 1981, and the materials to withstand the heat and pressure obviously exist! You cannot do all this with a scramjet! You will need an extra rocket engine, and thruster-based attitude control! Also, I bet it will take more than 11 minutes! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.