Thousands of Android Apps May Leak Personal Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Slam iOS all you want but I'd rather be running that then have to deal with all the malware and security holes Android has. You can blame it in the app developers all you want but Android is an inherently unsecure OS. Let the Android fanboy thumb downs begin![/citation]

Dont take it too serious, its all in nerdy fan boyism fun for either camp though Tom's is more Anti-Apple than most sites....heh.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Android is already very secure, before installing applications you have to AGREE to install the applications with the permissions required to run the application.

Second - Android is fairly secure for an open OS, where flaws can be found within the source code by malicious users.

Third - Every OS has SOME security issues

Fourth - In order for the data to be leaked, you have to be using the specific applications vulnerable to this as well as be connected to a fake WiFi hotspot. Most people use their mobile data over WiFi networks on their daily commutes.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Glad I have iOS and Apple is strict on Apps for a reason (too many evil doers!!! heh). OK iHaters thumbs me down....woot!!![/citation]

You don't understand how this stuff works do you.
Back to your toys then.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I'll never buy an Apple computer but I own the iPhone5. Was with RIM for years but wanted something different. Tried Android but I shouldn't have to hack my phone to uninstall bloatware. Tried the iPhone5 and I was sold. I have very large hands and I found the S3 too big. If I want something larger than the iP5 I'll get a tablet.[/citation]

Nexus phone.

Wow, that was so hard, NOT!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]You don't understand how this stuff works do you.Back to your toys then.[/citation]

Its so complicated...lol. Apple, Google, and MS all have development tools ,rules, and guidelines for App submission and approval. Most know Droid is based on Linux (freeware) which is fairly secure and iOS which is based on UNIX, very secure but no matter how secure as OS is, poor coding will easily be attacked through its flaws.

The App developers are mostly to blame for insecure Apps but Google allowing their insecure Apps to make it to their store is fail too.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Slam iOS all you want but I'd rather be running that then have to deal with all the malware and security holes Android has. You can blame it in the app developers all you want but Android is an inherently unsecure OS. Let the Android fanboy thumb downs begin![/citation]

All systems have malware. I remember the exact same argument with MacOS, then they had this problem:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/04/mac-os-x-report-virus-infects-600000-computers/

While the OS has a major effect, the behaviour of the user makes the biggest difference. On top of that you could have issues outside the OS, like browser problems and bugs. And as of right now Google is working on an anti-malware product, no such thing from Cupertino yet.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Linux is based on UNIX; the strength of security of these OSes is fairly similar.

Interesting how they had to utilize the equivalent of an artillery barrage to "expose" a security flaw. Kinda like using a power-tool to crack open a nut and then complaining that the nut was not strong enough.

" They could also it look like the app was proceeding the transaction without any change." - What the f... was that? Zak, if you're gonna troll, at least do it in English.

@joytech22 - dude, you're wasting your breath. Besides, it's a good thing when people admit their limitations. To each his own. See below.

About this "study": looks like they tried really hard to crack this nut open; given the scarcity of funds in academia, I can't help but wonder who funded this?

Mentioning that so-called security flaw that could erase all data again and again proves that Zak has no clue what he's talking about. I have explained in detail before why that is, I will only state again that no app can self-install on Android and no app can be installed without explicit permissions given. That's how it works. Stupid people will do stupid things with their phones and then complain about the lack of security (and that's why is good to see some that have acknowledged their limits and regressed to simpler things).
Q.O.D.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]All systems have malware. I remember the exact same argument with MacOS, then they had this problem:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/techno [...] computers/While the OS has a major effect, the behaviour of the user makes the biggest difference. On top of that you could have issues outside the OS, like browser problems and bugs. And as of right now Google is working on an anti-malware product, no such thing from Cupertino yet.[/citation]
Forgot to mention how at every single Black hat conferences the "very secure" OSX (upon which iOS is built) is always the first one to bite the dust.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Dont take it too serious, its all in nerdy fan boyism fun for either camp though Tom's is more Anti-Apple than most sites....heh.[/citation]
Or the intelligence and mentality is comparable to 14 year old kids who plan to change the world of technology by telling everyone that they bought an Android phone and that iPhone's are stupid rather than get a degree in engineering or compsci.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I'll never buy an Apple computer but I own the iPhone5. Was with RIM for years but wanted something different. Tried Android but I shouldn't have to hack my phone to uninstall bloatware. Tried the iPhone5 and I was sold. I have very large hands and I found the S3 too big. If I want something larger than the iP5 I'll get a tablet.[/citation]
Potentially the most intelligent comment in all Tom's Hardware article posts. I like the size of the iPhone's compared to my Galaxy S II. I used the iPod touch for 2 years, since day one, was adapted to the keyboard. Galaxy S II, although adapted to a certain extent, cannot compare to the smaller width of the iProducts. If there was an Android that was comparable to the size of an iPhone and not sluggish like those 1 ghz single core phones, I would be the happiest Android user alive. You sir have just increased the IQ of article posters in Tom's Hardware. I applaud.

[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Nexus phone.Wow, that was so hard, NOT![/citation]
Have you ever even seen a Nexus phone?

To Tom's Hardware editors: Make more Apple news.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]vishnusivathej[/nom]I guess this post is more intended to turn the people towards apple with their new products...am i true toms???????[/citation]
It's Zak Islam in particular. Many users have pointed out this trend of bashing every product except ones made by Apple. I take the articles he writes with a grain of salt.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]I'm not surprised. Android is the least secure of 3 big ones[/citation]
Android's attacks has more to do with user incompetence than lack of security. Android is built on a Linux kernel, Linux being more secure than either Mac OS X and Windows. Again, with every app installed, it lists all the permissions the app is going to need, and the user has to explicitly click "install." The problem is even if the a permission states "collect all private data and sell it on the internet", most people would still click install.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
The excuse that its the users fault is no excuse. Just because the user has to give permission for an app to install, doesnt mean that even if user isnt too lazy to read the permissions, that they understand what the permissions will affect. An OSs security needs to account for the techno-illiterate if they truly care about the end-user and want to have a large secure install base.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]All systems have malware. I remember the exact same argument with MacOS, then they had this problem:http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/techno [...] computers/While the OS has a major effect, the behaviour of the user makes the biggest difference. On top of that you could have issues outside the OS, like browser problems and bugs. And as of right now Google is working on an anti-malware product, no such thing from Cupertino yet.[/citation]

Specifically Java being a culprit of many MAC vulnerabilities. Its no wonder Apple does not offer Java with MAC upgrades any longer. Also the Java updates are so annoying but required if you use it :p So MAC on its own is secure but Applications that require JAVA can be a prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.