Thousands of Home Routers Vulnerable to Hacker Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
"Keep in mind, however, that Apple and LinkSys routers do not seem to use Realtek technology, and are not affected."

Just too bad Linksys routers barely work right in the first place; let alone die after about 6 months. I really wish Cisco never bought them out....

weilin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
@Vlad Rose

Cisco doesn't own Linksys anymore, Belkin does... and it looks like they're doing a decent job turning that ship around.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
@Vlad Rose

Cisco doesn't own Linksys anymore, Belkin does... and it looks like they're doing a decent job turning that ship around.

Does that mean Belkins own products are getting better? Last time I sold them at my shop 5+ years ago they were truly shocking.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

Yeah, that actually sounds scarier that Belkin bought them out as they were the only other brand I had worse luck with than Linksys... lol
But who knows, things can turn around. Just look at MSI (MicroStar International) and LG (Lucky Goldstar); who used to be cheap junk brands before 'initializing' their names and changing their quality.

littleleo

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

Yeah, that actually sounds scarier that Belkin bought them out as they were the only other brand I had worse luck with than Linksys... lol
But who knows, things can turn around. Just look at MSI (MicroStar International) and LG (Lucky Goldstar); who used to be cheap junk brands before 'initializing' their names and changing their quality.

Belkin has owned them for a little while now. The last Linksys I got has lasted a good couple of years+ w/o any issue and I love the guest network function.

reggjoo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
A lot of the cheaper routers never see a update, you gotta spend at least $90, and hope. This problem with malware, should be discussed on a bigger stage, than this site(sorry tom). If the general public never knows, then mfg's will get away with it, and get to sell their inventory, with the realtek hardware, before fixing anything. Put this problem on a bigger stage(a network), for the public, who's not as informed, and things will change.

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Just too bad Linksys routers barely work right in the first place; let alone die after about 6 months. I really wish Cisco never bought them out....

Any product can have random failures. I had 1 Linksys router that ran for 6 years before I upgraded it in order to get gigabit lan.

My other Linksys router is still running strong at my mom's apartment, 10 years.

My newer Linksys is on its 4th year. Never had any issues with them...

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

The last 3 different high end Linksys routers ($150+) I had owned all exhibited the same problem after the 6 month mark. I switched to a Netgear and it has been running strong for over 2 years.

Pre-Cisco, I never had a problem with Linksys and used them exclusively. Either it's been really bad luck on my part, or they had a problem on their part. Either way, they are now a hard recommendation to give for me anymore.

Friends of mine had bought Belkin's because they were cheap and available at Walmart or Best Buy. They always have been a nightmare to keep connectivity with from the get go to where they have to be Power cycled at least once a day; usually in the middle of a game session for them.

Things may have changed since Linksys and Belkin have combined, I just won't take the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS