Threatening Rap on YouTube Lands Two in Jail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
The first amendment was created to protect unpopular speech, there is no need to protect popular speech because by nature their is no opposition.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Oh, please. Threaten to kill someone by name. Then try the First Amendment defense - especially after Ft.Hood and Virginia Tech.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
A little jail time should serve these two punks some good. Even if the charges don't stick, it'll still send a message. That kind of behavior is unacceptable and I'm glad it's not being tolerated.

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
did anyone else catch the sherrif in the picture was the one from smokey and the bandit or am i just the only one. man i'm old!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I can't really comment on this without seeing the video for myself (I have trust issues), but threats are part of rap's roots. If people were this freaked out about everything in the world when tupac was around, everyone would be in jail.

That said, I do believe that people are capable of writing lyrics with actual meaning. Not hate, not shoes, not rims... but something worthwhile. Unfortunately, the producers and general public are too stupid to recognize this. It's easier to identify with rims and shoes than it with thoughtful metaphors (apparently).

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]elel[/nom]Everyone deserves free speech. You just might be held accountable for what you say.[/citation]
Then it's clearly not free speech... You can say anything you want in north Korea... you'll just be held accountable.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Congress shall make no law respecting... or abridging the freedom of speech ...

The Supreme Court has ruled that this applies to all levels of government. Thus, any time someone is prosecuted for any kind of speech, even threatening speech, it is in violation of this law. You cannot make exceptions to this law. There simply aren't any allowed.

You may then state that calling out fire in a crowded theater would constitute unprotected speech, but the speech is protected... just not the gross negligence of starting a riot. Their speech is protected, it should simply alert the officials that there may be something to be aware of. Arresting people for making threats is a good way to make those threats go from art to action.

G

WTF. I love how the cops try to link these two idiots to 9/11. WTF does 9/11 have to do with rapping about cops? Complete BS, those two should immediately sue in civil court, because there is no way criminal charges are going to stick. Sure they are idiots, but they have freedoms.

Reminds me of 1990s era rap: "187 ON A MOTHER FUCKING COP!" Snoop Dogg and Sublime MUST have been involved in 9/11 with lyrics like that. Arrest them!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
This is retarded. Period. As said, this sort of rap has been around forever. Even tossing in names doesn't make it 'threatening' to the extent to warrant arrest.

When you say our generation is going to hell in a handbasket, it should be talking about both the people who were arrested, as well as the people who decided to arrest them.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]fatkid35[/nom]did anyone else catch the sherrif in the picture was the one from smokey and the bandit or am i just the only one. man i'm old![/citation]

Sherrif Buford T. Justice! That's the first thing I saw when I clicked on the article, that movie is comedy gold in our house. These kids are just a "pile of monkey nuts,"

back to the story

People obviously don't know how freedom of speech really works, no one should be able to use that amendment to for threats, lies and slander, it wasn't written by our forefathers so you can say/sing that you wanna kill someone, it was written so that you can question are government with out the fear of the government itself killing you!It was written so we can do what we do with protests, news papers, hell even posting opinions on a forum like this, what would otherwise get you killed in North Korea.

If you want to say these guys were within their wright to make direct threats to other humans beings are just as ignorant as these kids. I guess then it would be alright for someone to say that they are going to kill you and rape your family, if anyone sad that to me, whether they are going to act on it or not, would make me take legal action, i would sure hope you would do the same.

maxpain12

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
though I don't agree with what they did, I hate the use of post 9/11 society... WTF? They are not terrorist they are just misguided ignorant fools...

maxpain12

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]DarkMantle[/nom]^+1 Blessedman[/citation]

I have seen this happen in other countries before. First comes the patriot act, then comes the total subjugation of citizenry under the pretense of safeguarding the country. Then comes the morphing of government to resemble the likes of North Korea. Be afraid...

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]my generation is going to hell in a handbasket......[/citation]

I blame the previous generation for raising stupid kids.

althor1138

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I can understand these two fools being arrested for verbally making threats to the life of another person. However, I fail to see where the "post 9/11 era" statement made by the police officer has any relevance to this issue. Has this fear permeated everybody's consciousness to the point where they think every crime is a threat to the state? This social stigma is very disturbing to me as I see it as being largely responsible for the socialization of America and the death of the America I knew as a child.
With that being said I'm glad they put the two behind bars for a little while.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The 9/11 is inserted to cause an uproar and generate discussion, does anyone think ten years ago if someone made a public statement, and youtube is essentially public for all intents and purposes, about killing someone or doing physical harm that they wouldn't have been apprehended? These guys are idiots pure and simple, and deserved what they got, freedom of speech doesn't protect an individual from stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.