Time flies, should I upgrade this laptop?

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I've got a Lenovo Y580. I can't believe how time has flied because this laptop is, without question, the longest lasting laptop I've ever had without doing any physical upgrading to it at all. It has more than paid for itself in terms of value for money. Going to Windows 10, despite several people's problems has been no problem at all. I did disconnect completely the fast boot it had built in with Win7 where it would load the system of a small SSD and then use the optical C drive, and I think that made the move to 10 easier.

But of course, going from Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10, there are things it's doing now it wasn't entirely built to do. So, I'm wondering, what CAN I do to it other than upgrading RAM? Apparently I can go from the current 8GB to 32. I've heard tell of the ability to upgrade the processor on this machine but can't confirm that. Is the RAM even really going to help?

So, I need some expert laptop advice. I can't afford to buy a new one and it isn't even justified because this thing is fine. But I'd like to give it a bit of an upgrade if it's possible. I suppose I wouldn't mind replacing the HDD as well if you think it would help keep things moving (it does get sluggish sometimes). The only info I can provide is the processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/64899/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz.

Also does anyone know any applications that will help me figure out exactly which kind of RAM I can buy? I tried the Crucial application but it stops at 4GB chips because it only wants to give recommendations for the 32-bit version of this laptop.

Thanks for any input, guys.

Solution

Currently most...

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
You might be able to upgrade the Hard drive to a Solid state drive, also you can upgrade the ram. How many slots do you have and how many are in use? I would recommend something like this for the computer. 16GB of ram $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231705&cm_re=laptop_ram-_-20-231-705-_-Product

An SSD would probably be a replacement so you would want to look into a 1TB SSD (direct replacement) around $300-350. I dont believe the Y series has 2 bays.

Laptops are not designed to have the CPU or GPU be upgraded. While it can be done sometimes the work and cost involved usually is not worth it especially not from an i7.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Well, to be honest, everything I've ever used on this laptop has never come close to 500GB so I was thinking of a 500GB SSD instead. It's strange because I do have the one 2.5" HDD but then there is a 32GB SSD drive as well but clearly not as a full enclosed drive because it's not accessible.
There are two slots with 2 4GB chips right now. That CPU info I linked to shows what can be done but on my 64-bit system I can go up to 32GB, I've seen others talking about it working fine. I think I'd be happy with 16GB.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

Currently most games do not use more then 8GB of memory, I suggested 16 as it is reasonably priced, it gives some headroom and is useful if you multitask.

Go for a 500GB SSD then.

Solution

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Anything wrong with getting a single 16GB RAM chip?

I could be mistaken, but I don't recall ever seeing single 16GB DDR3 sticks of RAM. Only DDR4, I think.