Time to replace my Lenovo v570? Breaking up is hard to do ...

SilverRaven

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Hi.

The eternal question .. when to say goodbye and move on.

My Lenovo v570 is a nice machine. Great keyboard. Good sized screen. I have just added a new replacement battery. It has all the latest drivers, a thoroughly defragged hard drive, all the updates, no bloatware, no hardware problems. I have followed all the tricks about speeding up performance, short of installing an SSD.

I'm a writer. I don't play games. It's about emails, word processing, surfing the net for research, playing back audio and video ...

It's too slow. Not mind-numbing slow. Just ... slightly annoyingly slow. And I'm guessing it only gets worse from here.

It's from 2011, by the way.

The boot up is tolerable (and fixable with an ssd).

But on the internet ... it is not zippy. I am getting tired of waiting for websites to load .. and sometimes even seeing "website not responding" messages (fewer, since I spent half a day tweaking extensions, disabling unnecessary applications and so on). With all my tweaking ... it now loads things like Evernote faster. But it isn't a quick machine.

It's i5 ... 2430M ... now with 12gb of RAM.

I am debating dropping in an SSD. But that won't help me on the internet, I believe.

So before I make that step ... should I just watch for a good sale on another laptop with an i5 and a decent amount of RAM?

We buy a lot of computers in my house. I'm the guy with the oldest one, trying to set an example for the younger generation. But if this machine is on the edge of becoming too frustrating ... that's not smart either.

Put it this way. I don't like to trade in a car too soon. It's a waste of money. But there comes a point when even that reliable old friend in the driveway should go. Because the new one will have new features and zip that no amount of patience and money will get with the old machine.

Am I at that time? Have I reached the limits of performance boosts ... and should forget the SSD and watch the sales for a new machine?

Thoughtful advice appreciated.

Solution

Yes it will since you will be able to load everything faster.

Also windows will not hang (waiting to respond)

SilverRaven

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

SilverRaven

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
But ... will an SSD make a difference web surfing? Will those "website not responding" messages go away? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought an SSD would only load apps and files faster, not change the experience on the internet.
Thanks in advance.

WarWolverineWarrior

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013

Yes it will since you will be able to load everything faster.

Also windows will not hang (waiting to respond)

Solution
If all the other computers in your house are not giving you the "website not responding message", then consider doing a clean install of Windows. That will clean up possible "junk" in the Windows Registry that could be slowing down your laptop.

SilverRaven

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Hmm. The other computers are not having problems. But they are all newer.

A pal also thinks I should get a new wireless card. Or a wifi dongle. I don't know what to think about that.

But I'm leaning towards grabbing an ssd. It can always go in another machine later.. so it's not as if I am pouring $ into an old laptop when time is running out... (which is what I may have done when I bought the new battery, because that can't be used in another machine later ...).